6 idiots trying to build carts to race

Foxie

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

So this stems from us being drunk idiots driving around on golf carts on the fourth, but we really wanted to actually be able to race around the property ( it was a small acreage).

None of us have actually built a cart or anything, but we have experience with welding, cutting, and working on vehicles.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? It doesn't need to be crazy fast ( 30 mph is probably plenty ) we just do not know where to start or what kind of parts to look for. We would like it to be cheap, because knowing us they're going to be beat up.

Bonus points if some sort of computer can be attached and modified.

Thanks for any tips, and let me know if any more info is needed!

Foxie

Reaction score
If you're wanting cheap I'd probably say it's better to buy something that's already beat up rather than building as parts will soon add up :/
Without tools, how much do you think starting from scratch would cost

redflash

Reaction score
I built a "Spider carts" single seat "arachnid" for about $1,500. Some parts came off craigslist ( tires, and other items) most came from legit go kart parts houses like Go power, omb warehouse, NR Racing. bought the raw steel square tube, could have built it in a month if I had all the cash at once, but took a year to build, a couple hours a day. It took longer because I built out a miata diff to use. ( you tube miata diff for go kart).
Look at the "spider carts" website for great and detailed plans.
started with a harbor freight 212, and jumped to a 420 because of the weight.

Good luck, you guys will have a ball

Da Flash

Foxie

Reaction score
I built a "Spider carts" single seat "arachnid" for about $1,500. Some parts came off craigslist ( tires, and other items) most came from legit go kart parts houses like Go power, omb warehouse, NR Racing. bought the raw steel square tube, could have built it in a month if I had all the cash at once, but took a year to build, a couple hours a day. It took longer because I built out a miata diff to use. ( you tube miata diff for go kart).
Look at the "spider carts" website for great and detailed plans.
started with a harbor freight 212, and jumped to a 420 because of the weight.

Good luck, you guys will have a ball

Da Flash
I'll look into it. Any other sites I could look at for plans and suggestions?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You need to decide if you want a simple yard kart you could thrash together in a couple of weeks. Or do you want something more complicated that would have a suspension, steering rack and hydraulic brakes?
Six idiots describes me and my friends too a T. If you want a simple cart with free plans you could go to Kartfab’s Site where he has some decent plans. The only changes I would make are going to a 30 series CVT TAV II system with a Genuine Comet belt and a live axle. May be widen the axles and go to ATV tires on all 4 corners and a roll bar. That way would smooth out the bumps some and provide you some protection for when you flipped them over. And if your like us you will flip them over!

Richard D

Reaction score
“6 idiots trying to build carts to race”? Sounds completely reasonable to me. I think you have already found the right place. Just start going through the threads here. If you have specific questions just ask. The guys here are cool and willing to help you!

Foxie

Reaction score
You need to decide if you want a simple yard kart you could thrash together in a couple of weeks. Or do you want something more complicated that would have a suspension, steering rack and hydraulic brakes?
Six idiots describes me and my friends too a T. If you want a simple cart with free plans you could go to Kartfab’s Site where he has some decent plans. The only changes I would make are going to a 30 series CVT TAV II system with a Genuine Comet belt and a live axle. May be widen the axles and go to ATV tires on all 4 corners and a roll bar. That way would smooth out the bumps some and provide you some protection for when you flipped them over. And if your like us you will flip them over!
Simple yard cart sounds exactly what we want. I'll have to look into it. We definitely will flip them lol just wanna make sure no one is gonna get hurt lol.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck using schedule 40 and 80 regular water and gas pipe with proper gusseting. For your purposes do not use a centrifugal clutch. It will burn up quickly. And go with a 6:1 gear ratio and #40 chain for strength. If you build them like tanks you will have more fun and less fixing and getting hurt!
By using the heavy pipe you can then use a cheap Harbor Freight pipe bender $150.00 as opposed to a $2,500.00 tubing bender plus $500.00 a die.

Foxie

Reaction score
I’ve had good luck using schedule 40 and 80 regular water and gas pipe with proper gusseting. For your purposes do not use a centrifugal clutch. It will burn up quickly. And go with a 6:1 gear ratio and #40 chain for strength. If you build them like tanks you will have more fun and less fixing and getting hurt!
By using the heavy pipe you can then use a cheap Harbor Freight pipe bender $150.00 as opposed to a $2,500.00 tubing bender plus $500.00 a die.
I'm not going to pretend I fully understand all of that BUT I kinda get what you're saying. We have 2 guys who tinker with cars and will know more about it than I do lol.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If they know anything about how to build a drag racing car they will understand fully! Come back if you have any questions. We’re here to help. And don’t forget to start a build thread in the GoKart section so we could follow along!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Um...If I were in your (guys) situation I would just find some used karts (Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist etc.)
...& go beat on 'em :auto:

Then, when something breaks, we'll be here to help fix 'em back up :thumbsup:
&/also,
Keep in mind that Black "is" the fastest color (just sayin') ;)

Don't forget to install "cup holders" for your beer :ROFLMAO:

Foxie

Reaction score
If they know anything about how to build a drag racing car they will understand fully! Come back if you have any questions. We’re here to help. And don’t forget to start a build thread in the GoKart section so we could follow along!
Will do. Gotta make sure the crew is on board but I can't see why they wouldn't. I do have a question though, is the 20$ live axle plan worth getting?

Foxie

Reaction score
Um...If I were in your (guys) situation I would just find some used karts (Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist etc.)
...& go beat on 'em :auto:

Then, when something breaks, we'll be here to help fix 'em back up :thumbsup:
&/also,
Keep in mind that Black "is" the fastest color (just sayin') ;)

Don't forget to install "cup holders" for your beer :ROFLMAO:
I thought red was the fastest color... :/ shame. Lol

But looking at kartfab like they suggested, it'll be about the same price to build as to buy. I just hope the rest of our stuff works ( there's more in the plan than JUST carts. We're making mario kart if we're lucky lmao )

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I say yes if you plan on sliding it around or drifting it. Then a live axle is most definitely. But if you just want to race it than a 1 wheel peel will suit you. But still go with a 30 series TAVII CVT. If run on anything but hard paved surfaces you will burn up a centrifugal clutch quickly.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Um...do you'all plan on racing your karts "this year"? :huh:
...'cause building karts from scratch is gonna take "a minute" (especially, if you'all haven't done it before)

Also, maybe check around on go kart parts prices
ex:
Plain old 6" steel rims ~$35.00 ea. (x4) = $140.00
6" turf saver tires ~$25.00 ea. (x4) = $100.00
212 Predator ~$100.00
Just these (3) items are ~$350.00
...& your gonna need a lot more stuff like
Axle $
Spindles $ (x2)
Bearings $ (x2)
Seat $
Steering Wheel $
Tie rods (x2)
Tie rod ends (x4)
etc. etc.

Not trying to be negative
...but, your NOT going to build a kart (from scratch) in a weekend
...& NOT for under $500.00 (ea.)

Foxie

Reaction score
I say yes if you plan on sliding it around or drifting it. Then a live axle is most definitely. But if you just want to race it than a 1 wheel peel will suit you. But still go with a 30 series TAVII CVT. If run on anything but hard paved surfaces you will burn up a centrifugal clutch quickly.
We plan on a little drifting, and it's definitely not on paved surfaces. So the TAVII CVT will be in the plan. We also plan on doing some stuff with computers eventually ( if it works, it'll be sick)

Foxie

Reaction score
...'cause building karts from scratch is gonna take "a minute" (especially, if you'all haven't done it before)

ex:
212 Predator ~$100.00
Axle $
Spindles $ (x2)
Bearings $ (x2)
Seat $
Steering Wheel $
Tie rods (x2)
Tie rod ends (x4)
etc. etc.

We know it's a project. We're planning on it. We're basically hijacking the barn from someone's dad's farm. And we're all gonna pitch in so it isn't gonna hurt too bad. We're excited, we're making a plan, and we're gonna love doing it. I do appreciate your concern!

Foxie

Reaction score

ex:
212 Predator ~$100.00
Axle $
Spindles $ (x2)
Bearings $ (x2)
Seat $
Steering Wheel $
Tie rods (x2)
Tie rod ends (x4)
etc. etc.

We would love to get a test run done this year. See what blows up when we give it hell lol

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
With six of you all building the same kart. With all the same parts and design you should be able to get the price down on parts if you all buy together at the same time on the same order. And with all 6 of you working together helping each other there is no reason in the world you could not have all 6 karts done in a month or so. The first one will take the longest to do and the last one will take the least amount of time. May The Force Be With You All!