6.5 hp honda engine clone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GO-KART GUY

Reaction score
this motor is a jiangdong 6.5 hp motor i think its a honda clone but i might be wrong. on the pictures displayed below is this pin that in in the crank and it sticks up a bit. it sens to be affected on it positioning be the cranks position and it can turn up to a 90 degree angle. i was wondering if any one could help me with this because i want to make a go-kart out of this and when i start the otor up i dont want this to destroy my motor by cathing on the crank or whatever its catching on p.s. if i lift it up i can turn the crank if i let it down the crank wont turn. PLease tell me what this is and what i can do to make it stay up or fix it. :confused::confused::furious2:

Attachments

• pic 1.JPG
    pic 1.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 6
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 3
  • pic 3.JPG
    pic 3.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 4
  • pic 4.JPG
    pic 4.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 3

qtband

Reaction score
That is the end of the arm that is connected to the governor assembly inside the engine. There should be a hairpin clip to hold it up. The clip rides in the grove of the pin. If it was me, I would completely remove the governor. It's easy, and actually, someone may have done it already to your engine & just didn't put the hairpin clip back on. Search this forum, or Youtube, for Honda clone governor removal and follow the steps. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, without the pin, you are hearing the rod hit the crankshaft. If you run it this way, bad things could happen!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That is the governor shaft. You are missing the external governor linkages. Do NOT run i like that, the engine will suffer irreparable damage. You have two options 1) Remove the internal governor components completely, or 2) Source new external governor parts and put the assembly back together. See the stickied threads on governors and governor removal. Welcome to the forum.

EDIT- Obviously, QT types faster :D
...And it IS a Honda clone.

qtband

Reaction score
I think that if you leave it, the rest of the governor should be intact. It has a return spring that keeps the internal mechanism in the right place.

Either replace all the missing parts, or take the governor parts completely off. One benefit of removing the governor is higher RPM's!!! Don't be afraid to take the governor off. It's pretty easy.

GO-KART GUY

Reaction score
is there anything missing? external or can i start it and all like this? i got the little pin for it btw

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
can i just hold it up with the pin will it be ok then?

is there anything missing? external or can i start it and all like this? i got the little pin for it btw

You could theoretically hold it up with the pin, but what if the pin comes off and the arm falls back into the crankcase while the engine is going? You will have some major problems on your hands, and you will likely have to get a new engine.

I would just open the case and remove the governor arm and plug it with a self tapping bolt. Or....get ALL the external governor parts and put it back together

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score

You are missing the external governor linkages. Do NOT run i like that, the engine will suffer irreparable damage. You have two options 1) Remove the internal governor components completely, or 2) Source new external governor parts and put the assembly back together. See the stickied threads on governors and governor removal.

Same answer.

GregMartin

I like fast cars
Reaction score
When I removed the governor on my Honda Clone I left that part in place. A good web site to look at is AGK. Here is the link to the section on governor removal
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/govenor-removal.php
The part you are asking about is actuated on buy the governor pin which pushes on it at 3600RPM (I think). I left mine in because I used part of the linkage arrangement attached to it in my new linkage configuration. I have attached a couple of pictures to show what it looks like on the inside of the crankcase.

gov-removal-3.jpg

gov-removal-5.jpg

gov-removal-7.jpg

You can see from the pictures that the lever can swing out and into the path of the engines moving parts if not secured by throttle linkage parts. In you case I would definitely remove it and plug the hole. You will need a crankcase gasket but its a good opertunity to have a look at the engine internals. When removing the crankcase cover sometimes the cam comes out. Probably a good idea to have the engine at TDC before you start. I normaly place the engine on its side when removing this cover so the cam stays in place. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.