50mm axle tube, I need brakes!

ohv_

Reaction score
I have a Topkart Surf rolling chassis, it has a 50mm tube and running into issues sourcing parts for the braking.
I pretty much need everything.

Any gurus in the Los Angeles area willing to lend your advice would be awesome. New to this and my boy and I are looking to do a ekart. Already have a Suron Motor and Controller to drop in the rig.

Going to fab up motor mounts once I get a few items.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd measure the bolt pattern and see if something from the motorcycle realm matches up because that big ole vented and drilled rotor is not something I've ever seen on any kart before... it DEFINITELY suggests your kart is a heavy pig.

I gather it's more a defunct company that didn't make much before rolling over more than it being seriously old

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Surprisingly tricky to find here in the US. Looks like a 50mm hub has a 6 hole bolt pattern 134mm bolt circle. BMI sells a disk that has a metric equivalent 133.35mm circle https://www.bmikarts.com/MCP-Brake-Rotor-10-OD-x-316-Thick_p_33274.html

Racing people here will likely be more helpful. I suggest you measure the existing disk in diameter and thickness. Vendors I have looked at do not go into much detail beyond those dimensions. For instance: https://pointkarting.com/collection...cts/210x12mm-self-ventilating-rear-brake-disc

anderkart

Reaction score
Did you already try calling/emailing this shop?

ohv_

Reaction score
Did you already try calling/emailing this shop?
I have no reply just yet.

I'd measure the bolt pattern and see if something from the motorcycle realm matches up because that big ole vented and drilled rotor is not something I've ever seen on any kart before... it DEFINITELY suggests your kart is a heavy pig.

I gather it's more a defunct company that didn't make much before rolling over more than it being seriously old
Would moving to a 30/40mm make my life easier?

Rat

Reaction score
I have no reply just yet.

Would moving to a 30/40mm make my life easier?
Swapping to a more common axle would absolutely make your life easier by means of more available parts... though the purists will probably want my head on a pike for saying so and yours for doing it.

When parts are unavailable, extremely hard to find, or ridiculously priced... one has 3 choices

Abort the project
Make more availible parts fit and play nice
Eat the cost and go with it.

I personally prefer option 2 ALWAYS

ohv_

Reaction score
Screenshot_20231109_082912_Edge.jpg

Topkart got back to me and this is the items I need. The master cylinder might need some love to make it work mounting wise.

I did find another TopKart locally that is complete for 2300. Debating what I should do. Ha.

ohv_

Reaction score
Dang, do they offer financing? You could buy a used car for that kind of money.
Via PayPal yeah. 0apr for 6mon or I did find a dude locally with a same kart for the 2300 tho. Maybe I can haggle him a tad.

Maybe both.... this morning my son said it would be cool to have a gas and electric kart. He's really sensitive to noise.

Screenshot_20231109_095302_Edge.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
Topkart got back to me and this is the items I need. The master cylinder might need some love to make it work mounting wise.
Good stuff. A 50mm axle is going to handle a freight train more power than you're probably looking to throw at it.

Plus it is highly unlikely you can bend a 50mm axle without totalling the whole kart to do it... idk about 30/40 but it seems to me keeping the original is the better option so that if Junior goes playing Bo Duke the kart can take it

anderkart

Reaction score
View attachment 143611
Just hand tight for now. I think I should flip it tho.
Having the drive sprocket as close to the motor as possible (without chain rub) would reduce leverage & put less strain on the motors outer bearing.

I was wondering what chain #pitch-size your motor sprocket is made to fit?

Do you already have an axle sprocket made for that size chain?

I was also wondering if you've already calculated the estimated top speed from the gear ratio of your motor & axle sprockets?

ohv_

Reaction score
Having the drive sprocket as close to the motor as possible (without chain rub) would reduce leverage & put less strain on the motors outer bearing.

I was wondering what chain #pitch-size your motor sprocket is made to fit?

Do you already have an axle sprocket made for that size chain?

I was also wondering if you've already calculated the estimated top speed from the gear ratio of your motor & axle sprockets?
TopKart has a carrier 50mm and 219 chain sprocket so I ordered that! It's a 20 tooth motor side and 77 tooth axle side. I am not sure ratios yet. Very much new to this so I'm just playing around. I still need to order a chain.

I ordered the motor side from here https://americansurron.com/?syclid=8e47dda3-6555-4b43-9a4e-1f0104918fde