50cc 2stroke with torque converter minibike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Job05

Reaction score
i want to build some sort of minibike with a 50cc 2stroke engine.

i want to replace the standard clutch with a torque converter

to realise this i would need to extend the crankshaft from the engine.

-my question is if it's sensible to do this since the engine might not have that much power even with a big bore kit.

answers are off course welcome

Tpdingo

Reaction score
1: We need pics of the go kart you are working on

2:

Nope, nope, nope, nope. Don't do that. Those motors are designed to rev high enough to make a T/C pointless. You don't need it. Not just that but the motors will likely be bogged down by the T/C friction.

Fine, say you are stubborn and REALLY want it. This is what you can do. Get a 3/4" jackshaft. Mount it properly with bearing inline with the motor. Put a ~3:1 ratio from the motor to the jackshaft. Put the torque converter driver on the shaft end. Then get a second 5/8" jackshaft. Put the driven on there and then you can gear it up to the drive wheels ~5:1. Make sure to take the bronze bushing out of the T/C, you won't need it anymore since the disengagement from the motor is dealt with the engine's onboard clutch.

So your options:
Don't be a bonehead and just use the 2-stroke's rev range to your advantage.

Reinvent the wheel and do what I said above.

Or if you need more power, get a bigger motor.

Job05

Reaction score
I didn't start the project yet, it's supposed to be a sort of dirtbike. I tried to include pictures of the products but it didn't work. The reason for my question was that i want to avoid using a centrifugal clutch because i want better takeoff.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

I can't post a picture so i will just send the link https://goo.gl/images/xfmd79

mckutzy

Reaction score
Those thing are ridiculously under powered, cheap and noisy as all he!!... for the effort and money youll be much better with a 212...

Status
Not open for further replies.