$5 gas scooter project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Well, fine $55 :(

$5 scooter + $50 shippingf :)

One day after school, I's spot a weird shaped jutting package sitting on my doorstep. "My 49cc?!" Thne I notice teh handlebarz :eek:

ELECTRIC START! WEWT! Adjusted the carb, it's awesome to see the gas get sucked up (good ol' electric start).

No muffler, so I took one offa my trashpicked weedeater motor. Both are very similar, same lookin ports, Walbro carbs... :)

Now, my questions.

1) It has like a gearbox on it. On top of it is a screw with a hole. Is there supposed to be oil in there?

2) It has front drum brakes and rear band brakes, which are interchangeable with Razor's stuff. Lookin at Razorama's minichopper wheel assembly?

3) There's no air filter. Any tips to create one?

oscaryu1

Reaction score
:useless:

^^^^^^^^ Gearbox? Oil? :confused:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Well... on the 3rd to last pic, I used the weedeater filter, so all I really need is a plate or something and the correct screw...

DRUM BRAKES ARE SWEET :D

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
i have several of the same engines, yes oil goes in there(gearbox), just use some 10w30 or gear oil. I have found that the stock carb SUCKS. Very cheap and always changes how it runs. Get a mikuni of about the same size. The weedeater/ stock exhaust sucks too. Try to find a used dirtbike/ pocketbike expansion chamber. Or you could try to make a megaphone for it. I once experimented with a "boost bottle" which actually did help. Drill a hole in the plastic manifold, screw in a brass nipple, run a hose from that to a sealed Propel bottle. Supposedly stores unused vapors until you hit the throttle making more power. Port that sucker out too. Topend kits are only 25 bucks, so i would recommend you replace it. The rings and piston are very fragile in these things. Hope this helps oscar

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Hehe, I must be too "familiar" with 4 strokes :p

Doesn't putting a bigger carb = more revs = blown... things :(?

Am I to worry about these flywheels?

Ah yes, those bottles, I've seen 'em. I might try n' get a kit.

How's this exhaust?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/F1-F2-MINI-POCK...1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

And... porting... Erm... just like 4 stroke porting?

And I HATE taking 2 strokes apart, for the same reason the first 2 stroke I tried to rebuild, I cracked the rings in 3 different places :(

Course at that time I didn't know what needle bearings were or there was such a thing as a honer :eek:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Oh... also, the gearbox was virtually dry. Did it do any damage :(?

And it really IS a gearbox?! :eek:

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Just get a good carb of the same size, you wont regret it. Ive had no problems with the flywheel. That exhaust is on the cheaper side, but it will be better than stock. Just clean up the ports a bit (intake and exhaust) Polish them smooth. And yes thats a gearbox, its geared lower because of the little amount of power these things make.. There are high quality big bore kits you can get, look up performance parts for them.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
This aren't the 49cc/47cc's though. More like 39cc... so I doubt they'll fit... right?

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
People call them different things, most all are just 43-49 cc. I have had 2 of these engines from different things and the topends swapped fine.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Owie.

My finger slipped.

While I was working with the grinder.

I'm amazed it doesn't hurt that much o_O

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Moving on... did a carburetor swap with a 25cc or so Cub Cadet.

Idles GREAT, dies sometimes but starts right up. Probably running a tad lean...

Videos soon :D

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Well I have to keep it at half choke to make it run :(

It runs lean, so I'ma just put the orig. carb back after soaking it in SeaFoam. Since the primer is broken, use the one from the 25cc.

It revs great at half choke... but... meh. Pics coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.