420 Predator Golf Kart Transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertduler

Reaction score
So I am installing a 420 Predator on a golf kart for one of my young neighbors. The golf kart is a Hyundai electric model that would not move for the previous owner son the young man bought it for $100.00 USD. The input shaft on the differential which was splined had stripped so I removed it from the differential and machined it down and cut a key slot in the shaft. The engine would not fit very well under the seat area so I have mounted it on the rear of the unit. I had to build a spring loaded chain tensioner because of the suspension movement of the rear differential. I still have to install a center support bearing on the jackshaft that I made and that work is in the process. Kind of a fun project for the young man as he is learning a lot and has a interest.

Attachments

• Golf 1.jpg
    Golf 1.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Golf 2.jpg
    Golf 2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Golf 3.jpg
    Golf 3.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Golf 4.jpg
    Golf 4.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Golf 5.jpg
    Golf 5.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 22

Desertduler

Reaction score
was the original motor seized?
Or is that kept for another oomphy project?

'sid
The motor has a stripped spline drive coupler which is does not separate from the armature. It could be used again with the adaptation of a different drive.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
..coupler ..does not separate from the armature...

Ah.. I see,
I was just wondering why you didn't simply make a new coupler on your lathe,
which sounded like the least amount of work to get it going again.
(you had a broach, right?)
The armature is likely too big to mount securely to the lathe.. so yeah.

Anywhoo.. good work.

How did you achieve enough throw for the chain tensioner to compensate for the suspension,
while preventing it from slamming into the reverse running chain?
(short.. is that second pic the tensioner lever? is it truely only that little suspension in these things?)

'sid

Desertduler

Reaction score
Ah.. I see,
I was just wondering why you didn't simply make a new coupler on your lathe,
which sounded like the least amount of work to get it going again.
(you had a broach, right?)
The armature is likely too big to mount securely to the lathe.. so yeah.

Anywhoo.. good work.

How did you achieve enough throw for the chain tensioner to compensate for the suspension,
while preventing it from slamming into the reverse running chain?
(short.. is that second pic the tensioner lever? is it truely only that little suspension in these things?)

'sid
I mocked up the tensioner arm and put the rear axle through the suspension travel to make sure that the chain did not touch each other while the suspension is bottomed out. I looked before I leaped so to speak.

Desertduler

Reaction score
I took this thing for a spin yesterday and it goes really well. The young man wants to be able to take this kart off road and with the gearing that I used it will work. I am going to talk him into changing the valve springs as I have disabled the governor. All in all I am impressed with the engine as of now but I will wait and see after this thing is driven by this teenager and his buddies for some time.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I took this thing for a spin yesterday and it goes really well. The young man wants to be able to take this kart off road and with the gearing that I used it will work. I am going to talk him into changing the valve springs as I have disabled the governor. All in all I am impressed with the engine as of now but I will wait and see after this thing is driven by this teenager and his buddies for some time.

And with them being teenagers, it will certainly be pushed to its limits :D :d

Desertduler

Reaction score
And with them being teenagers, it will certainly be pushed to its limits :D :d
Yes indeed. He was driving it around for a good part of the day yesterday hauling his friends and siblings around flat out as fast as it would go down the road. I told him to mellow it out a bit before he gets hurt or someone else does. When you are young you think that you are invincible and nothing bad is going to happen to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.