420 Predator charge coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Anybody know how many amps the 420 Predator stator puts out? HF doesn't list it online and no one really has mentioned it. My guess is 2-3 amps. But anyone know for sure?

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Far as I can find, roughly 55 watts requires something like 4.5amps, at least reading packaging of some aftermarket lights. However, the old rule of thumb is about 1 amp for every 100 watts, however some are more conservative as 1 amp for every 80 watts. I will take a look at that link and try my best to brief on it.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

So basically simply put, you cannot officially get watts to amps. However if you have fixed voltage, it's amps=watts/volts.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

According to the PDF you sent, on page 3 it gives you instructions to do a load test.

Turn off the ignition switch, and connect a digital multimeter (set to DC amps). Put the negative wire on the multimeter to the negative terminal on the battery. Then take the positive wire from the multimeter to I believe the rectifier, this will test continuity.

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Far as I can find, roughly 55 watts requires something like 4.5amps, at least reading packaging of some aftermarket lights. However, the old rule of thumb is about 1 amp for every 100 watts, however some are more conservative as 1 amp for every 80 watts. I will take a look at that link and try my best to brief on it.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

So basically simply put, you cannot officially get watts to amps. However if you have fixed voltage, it's amps=watts/volts.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

According to the PDF you sent, on page 3 it gives you instructions to do a load test.

Turn off the ignition switch, and connect a digital multimeter (set to DC amps). Put the negative wire on the multimeter to the negative terminal on the battery. Then take the positive wire from the multimeter to I believe the rectifier, this will test continuity.
Continuity won't tell you diddly about what you're seeking. My question would be, will the coils burn up or something if you put a large load on them, or will they just not work?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I think they'll fall behind and not hold up. They'll wear out over time, but can usually be rebuilt or replaced. So pretty much the battery will be doing all the work and die faster.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Well I talked with my dad, and he believes that it will shorten the life of the coil, if you run above its intended amp rating and burn up quicker. How much quicker is not known.

Status
Not open for further replies.