400cc Honda CB-1 Track Kart Project Built From Scratch

Ben_dl

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new(ish) to karts and even newer to the forums, but just thought I would post this project somewhere so I could gets some tips and info on kart building as a whole. This project started when I saw a video of this guy's GSXR 750 powered go kart that looked to be made from an extended shifter kart frame and I wanted in. Around Christmas time, I was looking at engines and found a Honda CB-1 engine that some guy was selling for 250$. The engine wasn't perfect, and required new gaskets, cylinder liners, rings, and a valve job but was overall pretty clean from being inside for around 7 years. After that I started doing some research on how to actually build something like this and got to modeling the frame in cad. Once I had all the measurements, I bought some 1 1/4 inch tubing and started the process of bending and welding the frame together. As of now I would say the frame is about 3/4 the way done as I still need to weld in Axle, Steering, Seat, and rear wing mounts (plus a bunch of smaller things like pedals and a shifter) but hopefully I can get it going in the next year or two. If I am doing anything wrong or could make some changes please tell me, the pictures are what I've got so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4205.jpg
    IMG_4205.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Model.JPG
    Model.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Ben_dl

Reaction score
Yeah I was probably going to save the wing for the later stages of the project just because I don't have as much experience making aero bits as I do with frame and engine bits, but I'm hoping I can figure it out with enough research and get it going with the wing eventually :thumbsup:. For now though my focus is just getting the frame done before the cold weather hits.

Ben_dl

Reaction score
Hey everyone! just wanted to give a quick update. I’ve completed the front end steering and spindle mounts (also got a steering shaft) and I’ve added a diagonal member to the bar just behind where the seat will be. The seat will be here in a few days, and after I’ve finished the mounts for that it’s on to the rear axle.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.jpeg
    IMG_4422.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4423.jpeg
    IMG_4423.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8

Ben_dl

Reaction score
Also I was wondering what size axle I should use? I was thinking on a 40mm axle but I’m not sure what size would best handle the power of the engine.