Lvfabricator
New member
- Messages
- 3
- Reaction score
- 0
My dad found a 33cc stroke moped in someones trash one morning, he snatched it up and brought it to me and asked if I wanted it. It seems they threw it away because it wouldnt run and they thought it was a fuel problem or somethin because the fuel tank and fuel lines were missing. The actual problem seemed to just be a simple blown inline fuse hidden in the mopeds wiring because once I replaced it and hooked it up to temp fuel tank with fresh gas and 2 stroke oil, it fired up on the second pull. So I had a strong running engine, some near new 4 ply tires and wheels, and a decent mechanical disc brake setup for the rear tire all already setup and good to go after some tweaking. I chopped the front half of the moped off and fabricated a new front from 1" x .095" steel tubing I had laying around that I got for free and some 3/16" steel diamond plate. Built the spindles from 7/8" x .120" DOM steel tubing and 5/8" bolts (so I could utilize cheap $5 8" 2ply harbor freight knobby tires and wheels), steering linkage is 1" x .095" steel tubing with some bungs I machined from some bar stock I had in my scraps bucket and I believe 3/8" heim joints I had got from an old job out of the scrap bin. I reused the handles and its brake/throttle linkages and the old handles bolted right up to the new steering column I made. The schwinn banana seat was actually the single most expensive thing which was about $20 shipped on ebay and well worth it because its length allowed everyone from 4ft to 7ft tall to ride fairly comfortably. I fabbed up a 12"~ exhaust out of the 1" tubing, packed it with some steel wool, and while running it put different sized washers over the end of the exhaust until it got restrictive enough to run happy. Mig welded it all up, took some test rides, tweaked a couple things, cleaned and painted everything, machined up a fuel tank, hooked it all up, and got it to zip around comfortably at a blistering 15mph. Not bad considering i'm 6'4" 325lbs and put quite a few, literally, maintenance free miles on it.
It may appear the front end is sagging or bent down but I had added about 3.5 degrees of camber to the front tires to widen its footprint, lower its center of gravitt slightly, and improve cornering stability
Overall I spent about $30 and it took roughly 20 hours of work. i sold it last year for $300 and as far as I know its still buzzin around somewhere.
These are the only pics I have at this time, If i can track down any larger/better quality pics, I will post them
It may appear the front end is sagging or bent down but I had added about 3.5 degrees of camber to the front tires to widen its footprint, lower its center of gravitt slightly, and improve cornering stability
Overall I spent about $30 and it took roughly 20 hours of work. i sold it last year for $300 and as far as I know its still buzzin around somewhere.
These are the only pics I have at this time, If i can track down any larger/better quality pics, I will post them
Attachments
-
11076750_824807457567841_501402700269516178_o.jpg94.6 KB · Views: 10 -
10497507_829294323785821_4892857555794609928_o.jpg76.3 KB · Views: 8 -
11134010_829294240452496_6061465302092352289_o.jpg121.8 KB · Views: 6 -
Effect_20160928_230956.jpg36.1 KB · Views: 4 -
Effect_20160928_231036.jpg45.9 KB · Views: 7 -
Effect_20160928_231019.jpg41.7 KB · Views: 8 -
Effect_20160928_231659.jpg33.3 KB · Views: 5 -
Effect_20160928_231607.jpg34.8 KB · Views: 9