3000w 72v E-Kart

journeyman846

Reaction score
Here is my first electric gokart build using a Chinese 72v motor/controller and 72v 20s2p LiPo Battery pack. Top speed is about 35 mph. Steering is a bit iffy in the front because of the un-even weight distribution (hence the weights).

IMG_0851.jpgIMG_0862.jpgIMG_0863.jpgIMG_0869.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_1078.jpgIMG_1079.jpgIMG_1080.jpg

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I read "Steering is a bit iffy in the front" while just the first picture with no wheels on the kart was on the screen and thought, "well, there's your problem". That's a pretty good looking build with hydraulic brakes and all. What kind of cells are those?

If you were to mount some tires with reduced width, your steering would improve without the additional weight. Live-axle gets tougher to turn the more grip you add to the rear and you have a LOT of grip.

journeyman846

Reaction score
I read "Steering is a bit iffy in the front" while just the first picture with no wheels on the kart was on the screen and thought, "well, there's your problem". That's a pretty good looking build with hydraulic brakes and all. What kind of cells are those?

If you were to mount some tires with reduced width, your steering would improve without the additional weight. Live-axle gets tougher to turn the more grip you add to the rear and you have a LOT of grip.
The problem on the rear was finding tires large enough to give clearance for the live axles sprocket. It was surprisingly hard to find tires and rims with a large enough diameter to give it that one extra inch while also clearing the frame. It turns pretty good now after adding the weight to the front, may not be pretty but it works. And the batteries are SPIM08HP 3.7v 8ah 200a from battery hookup.

journeyman846

Reaction score
That size probably would have worked, but it never really showed up on any of the sites when I was searching. I am happy with the size now and since wheels are not cheap I will stay with these for now. I also like the idea of the low/wide stance with no roll cage. I feel like it's would be a lot harder to roll.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
You can get wheels from azusaparts (get the wide ones for the back) and the slicks from eBay. I've never had an issue with even a hint of rolling over and my kart is definitely not as wide as yours.

20210716_195525.jpg

bargalon

Reaction score
Here is my first electric gokart build using a Chinese 72v motor/controller and 72v 20s2p LiPo Battery pack. Top speed is about 35 mph. Steering is a bit iffy in the front because of the un-even weight distribution (hence the weights).

View attachment 128709View attachment 128710View attachment 128711View attachment 128712View attachment 128713View attachment 128714View attachment 128715View attachment 128716

Love it!
I'm looking to install similar setup (3kw, 72V) in an old Chassis I've got..
Can you tell me how much time your 20s2p LiPo Battery pack holds?
(Assuming steady driving)

journeyman846

Reaction score
Love it!
I'm looking to install similar setup (3kw, 72V) in an old Chassis I've got..
Can you tell me how much time your 20s2p LiPo Battery pack holds?
(Assuming steady driving)
I couldn't honestly say because I have never rode it long enough to run the battery completely down. I would estimate probably a full hour of riding. Charging also takes less than 30 minutes at 8 Amps.