3 stage switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Is there such a thing switch that can... let's say on an electric scooter, have a switch setting that applies the standard 24V, and when switched to another setting, puts on 36V, a sort of "boost" in a switch. As in there's 3 12V batteries, only 2 in 1st setting, and the 3rd one kicks in on the 2nd setting.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I would just have 2 toggle switches, so you could be all cool like your in an action movie and be like ENGAGE STAGE 2! and flip the second switch and turbo your way off into the sunset.

:roflol:

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I dont think there is such thing as a 3 speed switch. Whenever you want to controll something like that your looking into a controller.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
just get a double pole switch and have it controlling voltage to motor. then have a seperate one thats like a reostat.

so you have setting @ 24v and reostat controlls that to what you need
and then a 36v setting and reostat controlls that

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
They use switches like that in things like three speed fans.

Scumm

Reaction score
Could you wire two of the three through a switch that has something like forward and reverse? set it up so rev would be wired parallel for longer battery life, but you could switch it to forward and itd be series for the juice boost. (I reserve the right to have series and parallel bass-ackwards.)

brendonv

Reaction score
Ok you can do this. Get a 3 way switch, on the first prong wire two batts to it and the motor to it then on the other prong wire three batts to it and the motor. So when u change the switch it switches from 24v to 36v. Pretty simple! U can get 3 way switches from electrical stores for around 3 bucks. Then when u put the switch in the middle it turns the bike off.

Hippie Mike

Reaction score
herter

I was thinking about your swich the ford copamy herther has a high and low but it runs to coil in the heater it will liook like spring i made a rough draw where it is in the hertter maybe this help i know that coil gets hot that whay the put in the hether box its in all the older fords

Attachments

• Heater_Box_Assembly.JPG
    Heater_Box_Assembly.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 10

DAElectric

Reaction score
Those three spead switches for fans are only designed for 15 amps. And for AC instead of DC. AC is a lot easier to switch on and off than DC.

What you are trying to get is basicaly called a contactor controler. These were often used in anything that needed multiple speeds before cheap PWM controlers. The contactor controlers were abanded not because the new PWM was cheaper but beacuase the contactors were hard on the batteries. Not to mention all the sparks that fly as you chnage from one voltage to another.

I suggest that you search some of the scooter part stores. You should be able to find a 36 volt 500 to 800 watt controler for pretty cheap. (18-50). The cost saving in bateries in the long run will more than make up for the cost of the controller in the long run.

Hippie Mike

Reaction score
Iim Do My Best

I Got A Tec THAT Looking For A Controler For My Trike .He Got One Less Than 80 Buck Thats Works .. Draw Back Is Your Battery If Thay Get To Low It Will Cut Off The Controler Mytrike is 24 volts with 60 amps fuse dule motors Thay got all kinds of controler[I made one out of a foot peddal it was vearble speed it burnd up look a my page about battery anps HIPPE MIKE you see the typ of controler I use the bettter the control more it cost al im saying yes money tight i but the sad thing i just found out the Va give a new scooter that coast 2400 big one but i love trike so bear with me Im going back to school to learn how all this work the man work on my zap is that had to rewire 65 a hour three new battery 140 big one so i love to share what i have find out and i cant learn all in on day thank you hippie enojoy life

Attachments

• 200642590111.jpg
    200642590111.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2

Grumpy

Reaction score
Work with a lot of electrical equipment myself have a voltage and amperage problem here mainly amps too high for switch oops burnt toast, Watch amperage rating on switches and draw by unit using. Have a Great day

Status
Not open for further replies.