$3,000 budget, what can I accomplish? (First build)

Wyldon

Reaction score
Hello, my name is William, I am 15 years old from Hawaii.

Building a go-kart is something I have always wanted to do since I was just a little kid. Recently, I have gathered around $3000 through the stock market and work.
The reason I am making this post is to ask this community what kind of build I can accomplish with somewhere in the 3k range. I work at a garage so buying tools is not something to be considered in the distribution of the budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
William

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
welcome to the forum. I would suggest a spider karts plan there are a bunch of them and they are not to hard to build. just look up spider karts .com

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
The only downfall I see is your location so you gotta wait longer for parts and supplies to arrive ! And shipping might be a touch higher.

Wyldon

Reaction score
The only downfall I see is your location so you gotta wait longer for parts and supplies to arrive ! And shipping might be a touch higher.
Shipping is definitely an issue, things usually take about a week and a half to get here on average.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Here's pictures of what I scratch built from the ground up for about $2500 so far. That includes the Blaupunkt stereo, hotrodding a Predator 212cc to at least 15hp, and the tequila and O.J. dispensers in the dash. It's not quite finished yet, flag painting etc.

Attachments

• 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 100_0165.JPG
    100_0165.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_0167.JPG
    100_0167.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_0168.JPG
    100_0168.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_0171.JPG
    100_0171.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_0170.JPG
    100_0170.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

gmo1515

Reaction score
Get the Vintage Gokart kit from Gopowersports for about $1300 which is a modern update of a classic Manco design. Paint it up in the style of a Manco American Express or a Sears Orange Krate (reproduction graphics are available for both), get a Predator 212 and a torque-a-verter drive and proceed to terrorize the neighborhood and lower property values.... Easy as that!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy & welcome :welcome2:

You can do almost anything you want
...if you put your mind to it ;)

For example, check out my latest creation Excalibur :cool:
...built from scratch, made outta plain old water pipes & super fun :2guns:
* Total cost was under $1,000.00 :sifone:

Also, Kart fab (fellow forum member) has a lot of plans & info on DIY karts :)

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
William, I have great appreciation for the electro-mechanical aspect of that electric dually kart shown above. Your first cart doesn't have to go that far along, but you'd do well to consider at least in your planning just how well you want your finished project to function.
Safety is the most important concern, and like the electric above if it doesn't have a rollcage then it shouldn't have even a seatbelt, so you can be thrown clear before it goes over and snaps your neck. Conversely if it has a rollcage it should have at least a seatbelt, a 4-point racing harness like mine above even better, and in any case always wear a D.O.T.-approved helmet.
Reliability should be the second concern, like the electric above having far less to go wrong than a piston engine like mine.
Performance should be the third concern, like the electric not being easy to add horsepower to after the fact, while piston engines can be hotrodded up all kinds of different ways, my 15+ hp. (started out as a 6.5 hp.) shown above is a good example.
Comfort is an important concern if you want to enjoy driving it, like the electric above being a rigid frame with a hard unpadded single seat, while my fully equipped kart above having a dual seat padded bottom and back and huge shocks front and rear.
Let good looks be your last concern, but with your budget you can have a really sharp product. Consider the final looks in your initial planning, as parts may need to be primed or painted as you go, some welds may need to look really good while others are hidden, your final colors may need to go on as you go, etc. Know from the beginning what will make you happy, ignore what others say it should be. You can even make it to please a lot of other people along with yourself, like mine above. It quickly converts from left drive with 2 harnesses to center drive with a center harness and dual gas/brake pedals for comfort. Coilover nitrogens and Monroe airshocks can drop it down from offroad w/12" clearance to a flat tracker with your butt 3" off the pavement. The 12vdc pumps can dispense anything you put in the bottles for anybody, not just Cuervo Gold and lime juice. Etc.........Plan your build, and build your plan.