250cc to much Power???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmantis

Max
Reaction score
Hey all ive decided to make a go kart,

One of my mates has extremely kindly donated to me a good condition 250cc motor bike. I plan to strip the engine out an attach it to a go-kart, i was wondering however if the 250cc engine, probably about 45Hp, is just a bit to much of an overkill for my project, and If any one knows what sought of sound barrier breaking speeds i could break on this and what they would be. please let me know, or if anyone has had any succes with such a powerful engine.

Thanks heaps,
Max

redcali

Reaction score
i have a 400cc on mine. so if you die, ill die.:Angel_anim:

if you have a roll cage and seat belt set up properly then you've got nothing to worry about :p

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
hell no thats not to much power the more the better make it scream.i know thats what im going to do this summers project.

mrmantis

Max
Reaction score
Hey again,
Firstly, ive been on the website for the motor bike and it is rated at 45Hp. Its a 4 stroke. Its done less then 50,000 k's as well. The bike ill be using is in perfectly good condition, except it needs a new fuel tank wich is easy fixed.

Im welding the frame myself aswell, and i was wondering if anyone out there has some specifications or design templates for a frame with a roll cage?

Any way, thanks for all your support and keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers,
Max

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Im getting a 500cc twin which makes 47hp... what the hell kind of 250cc makes 40hp? Only a 2-stroke, methinks.

But yeah, 250cc is IMHO the best engine size for a road kart.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Haha, nice one. Yes, it is pretty unstressed. I think it has a 9.0 - 1 compression ratio which is pretty low for a bike.

It's a 2007 GS-500F with 9,500 k's. Parallel twin designed in the 80's. One of the most reliable and maintenance free bike engines you can get.

Did a bit of research. At a guess, is it an old CBR250rr? They make 39.5 hp (40 ps). 250cc 4 cylinder which revs in excess of 18,000 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.