250 2 stroke Shifter Kart KTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because Racekart

New member
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
^building a ktm 250 powered kart. Just a few more steps and we'll have it going finally!

However, i realized how little weight we are going to have in the front of this thing, and have been really worried about ridiculous understeer.

Our front right tire is popped from using the kart when it still had the chonda motor, and we dont have any spare front tires but we have a bunch of extra rear tires.

MY QUESTION IS:::
Is there any way we can run the wider rear tires all around? Are the front wheels to small to hold the wider rear tire, Would the extra contact patch help it significantly with understeer? Should we try to buy an extra set of rear wheels and try to make them work?

Thanks guys. If not I will just drop 100 bucks on another set of mgs for the fronts.
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,431
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
I checked out your kart in your other thread: I'd sugest you just buy some new front racekart slicks, the same size you have now. Chances are, they'll end up giving you much better handling/steering response than instaling wide/rear tires on the front.

Heres a link to a chart showing what width rims you need for racekart slicks: http://www.russellkarting.com/range.htm


Check out these pics of shifterkarts like yours: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=7qFZUZCvF4m70QHMsIGQBA
You wont find many shifterkart racers using wide/rear slicks in the front, because it simply doesnt work as well as the 4" or 5" wide front tires/rims your kart was designed to run.

The only time you'll typically see wide/rear slicks used on the front of racekarts, is on the right front of karts racing on an oval track.
 

Because Racekart

New member
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice.

Also we ran into a problem with the throttle cable. The dirt bikes throttle cable is a few feet too short. I was planning on just getting a longer one but the ktm dealership said no one would have anything that's thin enough to fit in the carb attachment, with the correct sized end piece to lift the valve, and still long enough to reach the throttle pedal.

I was planning on just attaching the end of the old throttle cable (from the kart) to the dirt bikes thinner throttle cable, but I don't know how I will be able to do so. I can't seem to find any sort of clip which will work to connect them.

Any ideas?
 

rwd4evr

Active member
Messages
174
Reaction score
51
Location
delaware
you can try a setup like this. use a bicycle type threaded adjuster on each bracket and be sure the brackets are far enoungh apart to allow full throttle travel. it will allow fine adjustments too.
 

Attachments

  • cable extension.JPG
    cable extension.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 16

Because Racekart

New member
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys. I had a machinist friend of mine make up a piece for our sprocket to work
And weld us up our exhaust this weekend. Talked to him about the cable as well. He said the longest cable you can get is 70 inches from Harley and that it would work. Also he said he could make the ends himself, so Ill probably just go that route when I'm back in town Next. Pretty excited though, I ordered tires yesterday, so the only thing left between now and a test run is mounting the tire, shortening the chain, and getting the cable attached. We also are goin to have to redo the shifter but it will be okay to mess around with for now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top