212cc vm22 bogs

bob geo kart

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just got my go kart done. Thing runs good till about 3000 rpm then it cuts out and bogs. I have a 196cc clone, the governor removed, straight pipe and a knock off 22mm mikuni. I got the clip closest to the bottom. I thought it jetting but this is how the plug looks. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 16218996603458521386016297525433.jpg
    16218996603458521386016297525433.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

jmaack

Reaction score
Same deal as mine. I never could get it tuned right. Plug also looks identical.

bob geo kart

Reaction score
Same. Maybe the tc has something to do with it bc I got mine set on the most torque. I'm also running a 10t to 60t sprockets so I should get to about 35 to 40 mpg and I only get like 20. I also have 20 I wheels to.

bob geo kart

Reaction score
i ran it with needle in 3 slot with stock jet and still bogs at around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle wont go full. It runs really good between idle and 1/2. i also put a 152 keihin jet which is a 130 on a mikuni.Runs the same. i just dont think it would be lean. Most ppl upgrade to 120 to 140 from what i been reading.

jmaack

Reaction score
Fwiw mine is a stage 2 ported head and billet shelf parts. I am using the racing autopilot plug which is cold from whatbim reading. for giggles yesterday I applied choke halfway and it didn't have as much bog and the center electrode was clean. I am going to order some jets and test out but it is going to be in a week or so as my daughter arrived this afternoon. so no minibikes for a while. I like you have a hard time believing I'm running lean and am just about to throw the carb in the garbage.
I will stay tuned to what you find.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Black and sooty plug means running rich already, jetting larger won't help. That bogging at higher rpm sounds like either a fuel starvation problem (fuel filter, pump, float hanging, etc.) or a timing issue, which is my guess, not enough timing advance.
jmaack: My performance guy says that racing plug is great for dragstrip or track racing, but just putting around with it can foul it in minutes.

jmaack

Reaction score
Black and sooty plug means running rich already, jetting larger won't help. That bogging at higher rpm sounds like either a fuel starvation problem (fuel filter, pump, float hanging, etc.) or a timing issue, which is my guess, not enough timing advance.
jmaack: My performance guy says that racing plug is great for dragstrip or track racing, but just putting around with it can foul it in minutes.
good to know. I will try a different plug.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
??????? Don't know the first thing about valve timing, far as I know when the camshaft comes around it's the cam lobes that tell the valves when and how to open and close.
I was referring to ignition (spark) timing advance not sparking off the mixture soon enough to get a good burn of the mix. Checked with a mechanic I trust (takes care of my van) and he agreed that retarded timing can cause poor burn, black plugs, and failure to freely get higher rpm on the motor (bogging).

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Making a "retarded" joke, or misinterpreting? Ignition timing gets advanced or gets retarded (ahead or less of TDC). Hope nobody really thought I was making the disgusting slang reference about mental progressions.

bob geo kart

Reaction score
I'm just gonna buy a Predator 212 and if it does the same thing just get a fly wheel key or a billet flywheel and it should fix it?