212 cutting out

zzuspann

Reaction score
Newb. Had no problems with the engine last summer, recently I picked up a stage 1 kit (with jets) and when I’ve been running it, after about 20 minutes, the engine starts to cut out, and can’t be restarted without waiting a while.

I don’t know if this is related, but its currently about 40F out, when I didn’t have any problems running it, it was around 70F.
Ive seen some things about air density in the cold, but not sure if it would make a difference here.

Didnt see anything lodged in the jets, and gas flow into the carb shouldn’t be a problem either, as the gas tank is vented well.

If anyone’s had a similar problem or can diagnose exactly what’s causing this, that’d be helpful!

zzuspann

Reaction score
Try swapping to the stock jets and see if the same thing happens.
Tried this, and it ran even worse than before, it wanted to cut out almost immediately. I assume the problem has something to do with this, so would upgrading to an even bigger jet (current one is .038) alleviate the issue? Also, I’ve read about the air/fuel mixture screw, could the engine be running lean, and I should toy around with the screw?

zzuspann

Reaction score
sounds like it may need a valve adjustment
I can’t be positive about anything, but I wouldn’t think the valves are the problem. I think the engine could still be running lean from the air filter & exhaust upgrades, so would getting a bigger jet or messing around with the fuel/air adjustment help solve the problem? Again i don’t really know much at all.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
I would make sure
1. jets you are using are right for your elevation
2. your valves have the correct amount of lash

Also check if your engine is running rich or lean, and try to mess with your air-fuel mix screw see if that makes a differance.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
In the colder air properly jetted engines tend to run leaner due to the fact that colder air has a much higher density.