2020 Stay-cation projects

anickode

Reaction score
I just got a 20 yard roll off dumpster delivered about an hour ago so I can start cleaning out the loft of my big barn and do some demolition work in the front room. Not going to be a fun project. The loft has about a foot of decade-old moldy hay on the floor, and the front room has 3 layers of rotten plywood and linoleum floors on top of... who the **** knows. Could be concrete, dirt, an old cistern, Jimmy Hoffa? Won't know till I start ripping it up.

Once I get the demo done, I will likely be converting the front room into a home (shop) office space.

The loft is more of a long term project that will go along with putting a new roof on... I still don't know for sure what direction I'm going with that, as the roof is a semicircular arch, 18 feet high at the middle. The ribs are rolled steel channel. No beams or posts anywhere in the loft. Just 36'x60' feet of wide open space. The barn is concrete block construction, and the second floor is a poured slab over steel decking and girders. It's a very cool space, but it is virtually useless as-is. Drafty, leaky, and no insulation. I could imagine a lot of REALLY cool uses for it, but nothing that wouldn't cost tens of thousands of dollars to achieve. At bare minimum, it would need a whole new roof of pre-curved steel panels ($$$$) and closed cell spray foam insulation ($$$$$$$$), then skin the inside with ~3,400 square feet of FRP board ($$$$$).

I will probably end up tearing off the entire arched roof structure (sell the good curved roof panels, scrap the rest), adding a second story of block (cheap) to the walls, and putting a traditional trussed roof on it (relatively cheap) with steel barn roofing (flat panels = much cheaper), then furring the outside of the walls and put 2" polyiso insulation with steel siding. All of that would cost significantly less than trying to make usable the space that's there, unfortunately. Once that's done, I want to cut the middle span out of the floor to give me a 16' ceiling height in the middle with loft space for storage down both sides. That's all down the road though.

Right now, I just need to get it cleaned out and continue with the repairs on my OTHER barn, which is going to be my fabrication shop. That one is the same 35x60 foot print, single story. Again arched construction, but with laminated wood ribs made from red oak. It needs new sill plates all the way around, as the original ones are untreated and rotting. Also needs a new steel roof. I cannot simply tear it down and build a traditional pole barn in its place however, because it's grandfathered in under the zoning rules, and I would have to incorporate a certain percentage of the existing structure into the new building for it to qualify as a "repair" and not new construction, and the 2 types of structures are totally incompatible. It's either a fix it or lose it scenario. It's a REALLY cool barn though... 8" thick concrete slab meant for farm equipment, and the style looks like an old aircraft hangar. I'm planning to ditch the sliding doors and build a vertical bifold hangar door for it, so I don't lose overhead clearance from putting a commercial roll up door in it.

anickode

Reaction score
Im tired from just reading about all that work

Believe me, I know. I've pretty much been busting butt for the last month, and still have a long way to go. Everybody's complaining about getting fat and being bored... I've lost almost 10 lbs and even being home 24/7 doesn't seem like it's gotten me any closer to being "done".

I have been able to get out and ride go karts a bit more though. Glad I planted a Kentucky 31 fescue lawn last summer... That stuff can take some abuse!

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200422_112054.jpg

20200422_112019.jpg

20200422_112028.jpg

20200422_112103.jpg

20200422_112036.jpg

Meet the purple pig aka "porky".
My brother and I got bored and started digging through all the junk around, he's been stuck here for the pandemic. We counted a total of 10 different items that went into building it, we were thinking of putting it in the build off, but didn't want to cause confusion with my trike and them both being built in the same place. Items involved are a 212 predator, yerfdog frame, a Kawasaki motorcycle, a Yamaha motorcycle, a mountain bike, a kids folding chair, a suzuki sidekick, an air compressor, a mini bike, and a mini quad.

We will have a stage 1 kit and t/c ordered on the first and should have it painted and running very soon.

anickode

Reaction score
Loft cleaning day! There was a LOT more hay up there than there appeared to be. And dust. LOTS OF DUST.

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_171803.jpg
    IMG_20200422_171803.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200422_172040.jpg
    IMG_20200422_172040.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200422_171546.jpg
    IMG_20200422_171546.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200422_111346.jpg
    IMG_20200422_111346.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200422_101734.jpg
    IMG_20200422_101734.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 9

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Meet the purple pig aka "porky".
My brother and I got bored and started digging through all the junk around, he's been stuck here for the pandemic. We counted a total of 10 different items that went into building it, we were thinking of putting it in the build off, but didn't want to cause confusion with my trike and them both being built in the same place. Items involved are a 212 predator, yerfdog frame, a Kawasaki motorcycle, a Yamaha motorcycle, a mountain bike, a kids folding chair, a suzuki sidekick, an air compressor, a mini bike, and a mini quad.

We will have a stage 1 kit and t/c ordered on the first and should have it painted and running very soon.

That is REALLY cool!!! Well done.

Where did the lawn chair part go? :D

Smerft85

Reaction score
I cut the very top of it, and the front half of the seat portion, those pieces are now the legs of the seat. Thanks for the compliment, he is supposed to post pictures of the paint job, but if he doesn't soon I'll post them up.

mckutzy

Reaction score

mckutzy

Reaction score
SO this time it is my project...
I have a small air compressor.. I have had it for years now... The wheels are plastic rim shod with a plastic/rubber tire.. The darn thing have just disintegrated over the time, and Finally its getting to me having to move it out of the truck.... Actually its been fricken driving me nuts having to lug the beast around to move it anywhere..

I recently got a bunch of tools and junk, and in the mix of stuff I got some big hole saws.. A 4.5" and 5" dewalt saws with a mandrel, new. Score for sure...
Fortunately, The big one was the right size for cutting out some wheels of wood...
Ill I had was some OSB scrap.. 5/8" I think... drilled out the shape and bored a hole for the axle bolt. I used 2 pieces per wheel
Cross drilled some screws to secure the halves and sanded down the lengths flush, rounded off the corners, aswell as sanded in a dip for the bolt head to sub flush of the outer surface...
I think it probably took me about an hour or so.... actually probably more time looking for the bits to make and drill it then working time...
But it sure makes me happy to move that Beast(ya..well call it that) about with ease instead of picking it up every time...
Crude but functional...Sadly I didnt have a lick of paint to lay over to color, but itll do greatly now to temper my sanity......

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_160155.jpg
    IMG_20200426_160155.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200426_155014.jpg
    IMG_20200426_155014.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200426_155029.jpg
    IMG_20200426_155029.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200426_155906.jpg
    IMG_20200426_155906.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 5

anickode

Reaction score
Oh and Jimmy Hoffa wasn't under the floor of my barn...

But one of his son's campaign signs was being used as a ceiling tile...?

My house used to belong to a fellow who was the personal accountant for many of the Teamsters higher-ups, and the property (plus what is now the subdivision behind me) used to be the horse farm where they all boarded their race horses. The property was thoroughly searched by the FBI after he disappeared. So I can confidently say that while Jimmy Hoffa has been in my house, he's not still there.

Attachments

• IMG_20200423_133342.jpg
    IMG_20200423_133342.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 4

mckutzy

Reaction score
landuse- Ya thanks... I keep the compressor in the house.. With all the other tools... But Ill keep that in mind..
Ill go look for a can of paint or something in the next while...