2020 - GEGcorp "Dirt Bobber Trike"

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I was doing some teardown last night and noticed that I have an opportunity to make something unique for the buildoff.

This is a side journey using parts that will eventually go into my buggy build.

I think I can pull off a 1000cc 2-wheel steering trike that would meet the safety criteria for the build off.

BTW, I thought of this on April Fools day.

Look how close the rake angle is on the steering when comparing the Yamaha Warrior steering tube to the Honda CBR steering yoke and forks.

Too bad it wont just slip in. I will have to cut and weld something to make it work.

If I cross this line.... theres no turning back !

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
<Edit for fast forward update>
Here is a glimpse of how it turned out.
My first donut was unintentional on my first lap with the 35 degree leaning suspension mods (Dec 31).

trike_test_donut_12-31-2020_3.gif
Skip to the last page to see more finished pics.

Oh BTW, this project was voted the Build-off winner for 2020!

Screenshot_20210123-185147.jpg

<Back to the build thread...>

Considering the cuts to the red Yamaha quad freame. I made a template out of plywood to help decide the most likely place for the two frame pieces to meet.

The Honda CBR frame is massive, with large rectangular tubing and a round hoop going over the top, but it uses the engine as a stressed member on the bottom.

I will bend up some tubing to connect the bottom motor mount points on the bike to the motor mount point on the quad frame.

The target cut areas are marked in blue tape .

The first test fit will keep the quad clip as-is, just the frame tubes cut down to the strongest point that will reach to top and bottom of the bike while clearing the oil cooler and radiator.

Last edited:

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Thanks,

...Now its time to put the thinking cap on before the next round of cutting.

I added the new oil cooler and the old radiator to see if I can pull the front end back some more.

I had hoped to run the steering column right up through the fork tube on the bike frame. To me, that would make a better looking nose, but of course strength is the main goal. I'm ok putting in more time to get this part to get it right because this will be taking all the weight of the bike and rider and anticipated downforces once it gets moving.

Note that the quad steering column would just pass through the fork tube since it is not a structural component like the bike forks are.

All the load would be transfered from the bike frame and engine to the reddish-silver quad frame tubes and will need to be tied from the top of the frame back to the lower engine mounts. I stuck some twisted blue masking tape to show where would be for the lower part of the bike engine to the quad frame.

It looks like I can bring the nose back another 5 inches, but that will require cutting the down tubes where the old engine mount is on the quad frame and building the triangulation back to make it strong for the new attachment points.

I am planning to use the front suspension parts again on my buggy build, so I have to remember that as I'm hacking away on this build.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Thanks @bansil ,

That got me thinking like it would be for one rider with standing room only for a couple more wild friends.

That gave me an idea to look for a place to tie in some floor boards.

So... I started bending the bottom tube for the front end.

I found an open tube in the bottom of the frame near the kickstand and the 1-1/4" pipe fits nice there.... will use that as a mounting point for the floor pan.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Decided to keep cutting away the quad frame so now the steering shaft will go through the steering yoke on the bike frame. I bent up some 1.5" tubes to add some muscle as new frame connectors.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
More work on the steering yoke and shaft.

The steering shaft for the bike forks is smaller diameter than the quad uses so the bike yoke bearings will not work. Since the quad has an upper and lower mount for thr steering, I will use the bike yoke as a pass-through for the steering shaft. It is not to carry the weight of the bike

Chop chop. Here it is on top.

I added 5 inches of pipe that fits snug inside the steering column. The bottom will be welded and the top will have a bolt so it can still be removed.

The quad handlebars are a bit higher than I wanted, but that leaves me room for a bigger gas tank.

So far, I'm liking the 8" round tank with the recessed ends. Its cheaper, holds more gas and would be good for my buggy build too.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
So... I started bending the bottom tube for the front end.

I found an open tube in the bottom of the frame near the kickstand and the 1-1/4" pipe fits nice there.... will use that as a mounting point for the floor pan.

You have quite the imagination :thumbsup:

Kool DIY pipe bender too :cheers2:
...reminds me of my OYO Press :cool:

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36334

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Hey, thanks.

It felt good to build something that makes bending pipe so effortless.

I have been thinking about how to hack a floor jack into a bender so I can make bends >90 degrees. Just not sure how the floor jacks are rated, in lifting capacity or the ram capacity.

Anyheww, Got some parts today. Gas tank is in.

I got the 8"x16" 3.5 gal tank and was really impressed with the build quality and packing and shipping. The only issue is the brackets have sharp edges and I cut my thumb trying to push one of them onto the tank for a trial fit.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
So 1st thing first...a cut :huh: dont brag unless you goy xrays or stitches to show off. Remember girls dig scars...that's not scar material.
:popcorn:

Next

Can you get a big knarly off road tire for that back wheel?

This thing will be sick and almost needs the steampunk look moving forward.

**** you could sell it next spring to someone going to burning man for mucho dinero $$$

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Yah, not scar material - just started getting blood on my new parts so I took the shot as a reminder to watch those edges, even on new parts.

Some more parts came in Friday afternoon. I think I have most of the wreck damage repaired now. I replaced the right handlebar control switches and throttle cables, got a new clutch lever, and the oil cooler and radiator. Got used parts to save $$.

The gas tank and rear tire will be most of the discretionary build budget for sure. I'm still working towards a Mad Max interceptor theme,

I have been told by some of my friends it would be an easy sell around here, especially if it throws a rooster tail in the dirt.

I found a fat tire couple of weeks ago and was planning to get it running frist, then torture the street tire for a while, then get this Kenda Big Block enduro tire.

Whatcha think about this one ?

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Tested out my new 30A circuit in the shop tonight. Cut, fitted and welded the top tubes for the front end.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Thanks.

Worked on the lower bars tonight until I ran out of wire.

With the top welded, I started closing the gaps on the bottom bars. Lots of awkward grinder use to notch the tubes. Took a few hours of doing this before I got in the groove enough to start bending more pipe and hacking on them too.
Keep in mind the marks are for the outer curve of the pipe I am fitting to. I cut to that depth (+-)90 degrees of the mark if needed. It starts making sense after a while. May be a left handed thing though.

The front end is getting stronger as each pair of bars are tied in. Ran out of wire when tacking the lower engine bars.

I should still be able to drop the engine out of the bottom of the frame when needed.