• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

2020 Challenge "Step your Game Up a Notch"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
It's a new year & I would like to challenge everyone to "Step their Game Up a Notch" :thumbsup:
...but, "safely" nuthin' radical :roflol:

My "Step your Game Up a Notch" goals for 2020 include

1.) maybe try workin' with Higher Voltage Systems
There's some 72V set up's available that look interesting.

2.) maybe try workin with some "thin wall" steel tube
DOM (drawn Over Mandrel) tube is really strong listed as
ASTM A513 1020 Mechanical Grade (Tensile=80,000 +/-)
...but, really expensive (~$4.00 per ft.)

Lookin' around, I found HREW (Hot Rolled Electric Welded) steel tube (~$1.50 per ft.) listed as ASTM A513 1010 Structural Grade (Tensile=58,000 +/-)
https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-round-tube-welded
It's not quite as strong as DOM
...but, I'm thinkin' that it should work well for go karts :cheers2:

3.) maybe try to incorporate more Lithium "power supplies" into my projects.
Their lighter, more power-ful & re-charge faster :2guns:

The 7.5V 66AH modules from Nissan Leaf vehicles look kinda interesting (~$75.00 ea.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Lea...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

...or (7) modules 48V 66AH with BMS (battery management system)(~$475.00)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-RV-N...sh=true&autorefresh=true&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

Well, anyone up for a challenge? :idea2:
…& maybe a few of ya's should plant some trees :lolgoku:

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I’m all about stepping my game up, I. Fact I’m doing exactly that in the engine department of my race karts. I’m going to do a video on the build when I get my head. It’ll hopefully only be another week or so. I’ve already stepped up my nitro percentage to 25% from 15% last year.
Hrew will work fine, we’ve used it in roll cages in cars for years. We generally went with .120 wall, but there are lighter options that would work fine for karts.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
I am breaking my own 1/8 mile minibike record that still stands for Oklahoma after 3 years !

Already ordered my wheels tires and new frame setup.

karl

Reaction score
Well,

I plan on purchasing a plasma cutter and chop box for 2020, and a tank of argon for my brothers MIG.

That might help kick things up a notch :wai:

But first , I will restore my 64 ford 1 ton before starting another build

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I'm gonna be gettin' a welder this year for my birthday! :bannana:

So far the plan is a ~$200 Century FC-90(FCAW).

After watching some YouTube reviews, it should be perfect for my applications! I need it so I can put my kart's seat back where it's supposed to be......:toetap05:

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I'm gonna be gettin' a welder this year for my birthday! :bannana:

So far the plan is a ~$200 Century FC-90(FCAW).

After watching some YouTube reviews, it should be perfect for my applications! I need it so I can put my kart's seat back where it's supposed to be......:toetap05:

Step up your game a little bit more and get a 220v welder. You'll thank me later.

Mammoth

Reaction score
Im assembling a GX390 thats on a new level.
I already sprouted some redwood tree seeds and bristle cone pine seeds.:thumbsup:
Check one and check two. Stepping it up.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I donated to Team Trees last year and in a past life I did landscaping, which included planting trees, sod, seeding, so I'm covered for another decade. I won't be participating anytime soon, I'll just be on the bleachers for the time being. Dedicating 8-9 months to a build is rough.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Since i got a girl freind now i gotta teach her to ride a go kart so im building THREE yard karts one a two seaterken bar, my high perf pace setter and my manco 405 the only thing is i have to sell my 445 for the 2 seat ken bar

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Step up your game a little bit more and get a 220v welder. You'll thank me later.

I wish, but my parents don't have terribly deep pockets, and we have limited space in our garage, not to mention no 220V outlet.

I'm just happy to get a welder!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'd look for a generator welder on craigslist and ebay. Long as you have a truck or a vehicle with a hitch and you can get a trailer, get one if you can. They should run at least around 240v and have 120v outlets as well.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score

karl

Reaction score
https://www.harborfreight.com/170-amp-dc-240-volt-migflux-cored-welder-68885.html

Still in your under $200 range. The quality of weld and ease of use is better with the 220v. You can easily get a 220 outlet. I made made my plug on a long cord. Then you can put it away when your not welding

I dont know, I think the quality of the welder is more important.

JT's probally welding steel below 1/4 thick steel,

I have been welding with my (120v) lincoln electric Pro core 100 since I was 12yo, I have owned it for 10 years, and the only part I put in it was a contact tip , and wire. Still welds great, and have built many gokarts and minibike frames from scratch. I bought it used off an artist for $100.

It welds so much nicer than a harbor freight 120v, I have tried one, night and day difference.

For me, it does everything I want, and if I want to weld thicker, I break out the 40+ year old Lincoln Tombstone 220v stick welder.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Also the Century FC-90 I'm looking at(Lincoln Electric brand) has infinitely adjustable power and wire feed. The Chicago Electric and Ironton 125s only have high and low settings, and I'm sure that's very annoying.
Plus, the Century actually has replacement parts!

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I think I did last year I was doing rc cars up until the summer. I was deeply into them and had over 500$ into one. then I look at used gokarts and I realize they are so much more bang for the buck.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I think I did last year I was doing rc cars up until the summer. I was deeply into them and had over 500$ into one. then I look at used gokarts and I realize they are so much more bang for the buck.

That's debatable. A go kart needs a lot of space to ride around on. RC cars? Not so much. Both can irritate neighbors (especially nitro and gasoline RCs), been there done that (with RCs). But you can ride a go kart so that's something.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Kartorbust, thankfully I have amazing neighbors and if they come over I let them drive. One of them actually gave me my first gokart. and I have a big yard :thumbsup:

JT I have a brushless Hellion Invictus 10mt running on 2s at 45mph with a castle creations esc. and a Dromida 1/18 scale, don't know much about it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.