[2017] Kart - to - Sports Kar build. ((in progress))

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-Speedy-212-x

●▬▬▬▬▬๑&
Reaction score
Only 9 more days until the new year and I have more than plenty left to do here to qualify; Having a good amount of metal and welding rods and so, many, thoughts and visuals constantly coming up i can't resist but to start now. Here is my current status: ... Body Widening.

Made some passenger room. There will be even more room when the front wheelbase widens.

Just stopping by to drop pics and hear good feedback.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Only 9 more days until the new year and I have more than plenty left to do here to qualify; Having a good amount of metal and welding rods and so, many, thoughts and visuals constantly coming up i can't resist but to start now. Here is my current status: ... Body Widening.

Made some passenger room. There will be even more room when the front wheelbase widens.

Just stopping by to drop pics and hear good feedback.

You're not getting any GOOD feedback until you stop being an idiot and posting dangerous ideas and examples here.

For crying out loud!!!! Put some frigging brakes, a proper throttle, and a dammned seat on that thing already!

It's not enough you want to kill yourself, you want to take someone with you?

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY I HAVE A BIGTIME PROBLEM WITH YOU , YOUR RIDE, AND YOUR POSTS!

We are big on safety here, and........YOU JUST DON'T SEEM TO GET IT!

EDIT: Oh...I see a brake cable...1/2 point. Oh wait! Is that a throttle? Still, the HF tires will kill ya, judging by the looks, they have about 3 miles on them now.

x-Speedy-212-x

●▬▬▬▬▬๑&
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------
[REPLYTO=Poboy kartman;448895]

Don't speak too quickly, You don't know what kind of seat i'm putting in it. Or maybe i'm doing much more than you think. It could be one whole custom seat or could have two on it with a reverse and neutral lever in the center. I'm widening the body first. Moving the steering column. Longer front wheelbase and tie rods.

[/REPLY]

Redlig

Reaction score
Mannn....no offense but I'd uh beef that up a little but. Don't want to be a bummer but as a professional fabricator looks sketchy for 40 or 50 bucks you can get solid sticks of steel and make it way stronger just my 2 cents

Ebrownie

Reaction score
:iagree: I mean it's cool that you are building this your own way and stuff, but as of now you couldn't pay me to take a ride in that. Needs either reinforcement or taking a step back to re-evaluate and make a bit safer design.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
wow... I mean, ... wow.... in the worst sense...
while widening a chassis can be an easy task (first welding in a second center rail lengthwise, then cutting between those two parallel rails and just adding whatever width you think you're going to need) you made it the most awkward thing to look at indeed.
stretching the frontbeam with a tube and welding it in with what looks like birdpoop...

and adding perfectly unrelated tube to the buttock area for no obvious reason but width...

Frankly, I cannot see where you're going with it yet,
maybe you have a magnificent plan and it'll all work out eventually..
but from here - for US - it looks like you're just randomly cutting and welding without any idea about geometry, sturdyness or anything kart related really.
So please excuse the rude comments above, but from what you have let us know so far.. I must admit I understand the reason behind them (and no... I do not agree on the tone!! *cough*)

Anywhoo.. as Doug said, we are very much PRO SAFETY around here!
main reason being we want all of you karters to stay alive and in good health for as long as possible.
What you do is ... not the best idea ever at least,
the way you're doing it is about the worst I could think of really.

IDK, but you're close of receiving the freerunner award of the month with this,
if you cannot convince us that you have a plan of some sort.

'sid

x-Speedy-212-x

●▬▬▬▬▬๑&
Reaction score
Big grippy tires.

Dirty transmission:

https://youtu.be/PZeHMUuAiHg

I need more welding electrodes and metal so I can add structural support. Everything is only a-little-more-than tacked in place right now.

How are you going to widen the rear axle to match the front?

I'd rather not say. It's difficult to explain. But it should work with precision. .

[slightly shortened quote]
Frankly, I cannot see where you're going with it yet,
maybe you have a magnificent plan and it'll all work out eventually..
but from here - for US - it looks like you're just randomly cutting and welding without any idea about geometry, sturdyness or anything kart related really.
So please excuse the rude comments above, but from what you have let us know[/U] so far..[B/] I must admit I understand the reason behind them (and no... I do not agree on the tone!! *cough*)

Anywhoo.. as Doug said, we are very much PRO SAFETY around here!
main reason being we want all of you karters to stay alive and in good health for as long as possible.

IDK, but you're close of receiving the freerunner award of the month with this,
if you cannot convince us that you have a plan of some sort.

'sid

Thank you.

As explained above in this current post more metal and electrodes are needed for structural support and a cage as there is no way in heck I would, much less let anyone else, even think about riding this thing right now.

To clarify, my plans are to make it look like a real track-racing sports-car but smaller. Should contain an interior with gauges and headlights as well.

Just trying to keep my typing and talking to a minimum and post/record as i go.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
You misunderstood, I wasn't talking about your GOAL (target).. that was quite obvious from your topic alone.. I was talking about your PLAN (pathway to said target)
But I guess that's where it gets all fuzzy again anyways.

So yeah, please do proceed (even if we wanted there's nothing we could do to actually stop you)
but do not expect any appreciation any time soon,
since so far you only showed what you should NOT do to widen a kart if one ever gets the same idea.

Anyways, we'll be watching and we'll be commenting..
and man I do hope you do NOT get that award, since in essence that's a doofus badge.
So yeah, plan ahead, care for safety as well as decent fabrication and at least try to make it a viable solution.

'nough said...
itsid out

'sid

x-Speedy-212-x

●▬▬▬▬▬๑&
Reaction score
Widened and re-inforced the middle. It's stable but more reinforcing to come another day.

The width is between 9 inches and 1 foot narrower than a coupe.

Redlig

Reaction score
Look man I'm genuinely trying to be helpful... as a fabricator and welder I uh...well I hope you plan on doing something with this it's out there pretty far. Only time I have ever done anything like that is when I mill basically a coupler then weld on my material then most of the time even put in a "fish plate"/ gusset the whole thing looks like a lever waiting to bend

Attachments

• 20170112_013313.jpg
    20170112_013313.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.