2015 - Reverse trike (stingray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Picked up a drill press today, and just becausr it was in the deal too a belt/disc sander. Should help me iut a lot in this project, especially since I have to drill new styd holes for the rear wheels.

Paid...not a penny. Traded for an old ps3 console that I originally got for free and was collecting dust.

I was on Craigslist and picked up an old busted up non-working dishwasher for my wife.....my mom said I made a good trade......:lolgoku:

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Got my axle and bearings today from bmi. Custom 30" long 1" axle with full keyway and 1.5" threaded ends. 3 hole 1" bearing hanger set. Shipping was...fair enough I guess. It was deffinetly done and shipped fast though. Ordered on Monday got it today. That's with machining the axle and shipping here.

Attachments

• 20150618_225545.jpg
    20150618_225545.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150618_230038.jpg
    20150618_230038.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 7

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
2 tires 20x8-8 (will eventually get 10 wide tires) side by side because of the bigger engine, sprocket and hub, 2 disc brakes...because that's what I'm doing lol, locking collars and such. Only 25" of use able space after hanger bearings and locking collars on end. 30" is going to be just enough.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Hey, so I finally got off my but and looked up the engine. It's a 377 rotax which is supposed to push 35 hp... hmmm, this IS gonna be fun.
I thought that you were going to use a water cooled Rotax? 377 Rotax engines are air cooled.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, numbers were so fudged I had to guess a bit lol.

Ya, correction, I think it's a 462, numbers are so:censored: close. Either way it's going to push enough power and then some.

Desertduler

Reaction score
I could be wrong, numbers were so fudged I had to guess a bit lol.

Ya, correction, I think it's a 462, numbers are so:censored: close. Either way it's going to push enough power and then some.
That's more like it,and that engine is around 51 hp so you are in even better luck. :thumbsup:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
That's more like it,and that engine is around 51 hp so you are in even better luck. :thumbsup:

Pfffftttt.......My 1994 Toyota 1/2 ton pickup has a little bit more than twice that......(maybe 120?).....

Just a quick legal question.....ummmmmm.....am I allowed tp purchase life insurance on a fellow member?????

No reason..........just curious......:lolgoku:

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Sure Poboy, purchase away! Just remember my kid gets half! Lmao.

The final plan for this is to get it registered as either a motorcycle or moped and have it street legal. Michigan is so freaking easy for stuff like that.

I had 2 bikes I welded together and put a 6.5 hp engine on it that was registered as a moped.

OzFab

Reaction score
Do you realise we are yet to see any pics of the entire build, only pics of different sections...

It's one thing to tell us what you're doing, it's another thing entirely for us to see for ourselves; may I suggest/request you include more pics...

Desertduler

Reaction score
Got my axle and bearings today from bmi. Custom 30" long 1" axle with full keyway and 1.5" threaded ends. 3 hole 1" bearing hanger set. Shipping was...fair enough I guess. It was deffinetly done and shipped fast though. Ordered on Monday got it today. That's with machining the axle and shipping here.
Watch for run out in the center of your axle that has a keyway cut all the way across it on one side,I have found that the axles that have a keyway cut half way to the middle on one side and then the same way 180 degrees opposite are straight with no run out.When they machine the keyway all the way across on one side the axle can warp due to the stress relief of the key way cut in the entire length of the axle on one side.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
I know Fabroman I know. The problem is that I havn't had a chance to work on the frame and such as of yet. Right now I'm just ordering parts. Ya I know I'm a good bit behind everyone else. I'm supposed to have the entire next weekend, and the weekend after to work on getting it together, so hopefully I'll be caught up for the most part. We have, what 4 months before the contest end though? I'll have some good pics up next weekend, and have the base of the frame at least completed.

I feel like the tortoise in the race with the hares lol.

I'll get it done though, and get a bunch of pics up along the way. I just want to make sure it's done right as I want it to last for a good long time so that me and my kids can enjoy it properly.

As of right now though everything's just in sections ready to be welded together and reinforced for the most part.

johnsonr81

Reaction score
I know Fabroman I know. The problem is that I havn't had a chance to work on the frame and such as of yet. Right now I'm just ordering parts. Ya I know I'm a good bit behind everyone else. I'm supposed to have the entire next weekend, and the weekend after to work on getting it together, so hopefully I'll be caught up for the most part. We have, what 4 months before the contest end though? I'll have some good pics up next weekend, and have the base of the frame at least completed.

I feel like the tortoise in the race with the hares lol.

I'll get it done though, and get a bunch of pics up along the way. I just want to make sure it's done right as I want it to last for a good long time so that me and my kids can enjoy it properly.

As of right now though everything's just in sections ready to be welded together and reinforced for the most part.

I'm right there with you! What you see in my pics is all I have. I just finally ordered my rear axle and hubs today. There's still a ridiculous amount of parts I need.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Got a late start today, BUT I managed to be productive. Managed to mock up the front end and get that about half finish welded. Still got a bar to go across the top to do and some slight bracing, but for the most part it's done. Also managed to get a bunch of other steel cut, but didn't take any pics of that. Will be taking pics when I tack everything together. It'll start looking like a full frame very soon here.

The round steel bar I'm using is 14 gage, and it fits perfectly over the frame parts of the atv that I left on there. I wish I had something a bit thicker there, but that should hold up just fine.

Attachments

• 20150625_174934.jpg
    20150625_174934.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20150625_175933.jpg
    20150625_175933.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20150625_184549.jpg
    20150625_184549.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20150625_184556.jpg
    20150625_184556.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20150625_184559.jpg
    20150625_184559.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 16

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Fiberglass is what I was thinking to keep it light. At least the scoops for the rad will be made of fiberglass. I may do some small sheet work but still not sure.

I'm also going to try and keep it geared as much toward torque as I can. Want to try to keep it below 70mph and be able to break the tires loose anytime I want for some good drifting and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.