2015 - Old rider mower-now kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Not here either, get an 6" grade 8 shoulder bolt for $2.19 down at this little hardware store up the block. Only downside is that they have a limited stock, and take forever to restock.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Ok yeah I have seen that spindle mod on Fearlessfront. I guess it will work. Honestly when I saw it I wondered then too. But like you said they do it and they beat their stuff pretty hard. I use standard grade 5 bolts on all my spindles too.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
Building new spindles tomorrow. Won't get into why on my mobile.
Got the steering bearing installed and mounted.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
new spindles done this AM and mounted. Steering support welded and will be positioned in a little bit, front tires/rims mounted

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
steering support is done and installed. seating arrangement mocked up. Need to find a better chair option. Am leaning towards a folding lawn chair, redneck style.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
How about a barstool? Check Joes seat , look all the way to the end he changed it the second may suit you. http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26426
Or yeah, I'm loving the redneck lawn chair look too. or a bass boat seat sounds redneck enough lookin.
Ok this Kart is starting to take shape now and have a personality all its own, Time for a name!

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
I dunno yet, I looked at some lawn chairs at Menards, Big Lots, and Meijer today and they all look stupid IMHO. I have an ad on Craigers for an older aluminum one. We'll see if anyone calls.

I need something with a backrest though so I can ride wheelies otherwise I'll just put the old tractor seat back on it.

I do have a question, I need to be sure to lock the axle in from side to side play in the bearings. The blocks I am using allow for bronze bearings to be used, so that is what I bought and am using, however the axle and hubs allow for some side to side play unless I lock it all in with spacers of some sort. I have some 3/4 ID tube that was used as OEM spacers on an old riding mower and I have 2 3/4" locking collars too. How do I arrange the rear axle to prevent slipping? Lemme make an MS paint of what I have.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
see pic, where do I position the two collars and what about adding in spacers?

Attachments

• axle setup.jpg
    axle setup.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 14

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Read desert duelers recent posts on his build off thread he has a good way of doing this with spacers.
AND check this out Red neck lawn chair racer. eh:roflol:

Attachments

• lonchr.jpg
    lonchr.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 20

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
axle is all in, spaced, and mounted up with tires/wheels

this is the seat setup I think I am gonna run for now unless I find the need for a backrest due to wheelies. I think with it being so centered in the chassis, it should stay planted unless you lean and yank up on the handlebars.

I need to loctite all the set screws with blue threadlocker right???

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Loctite is your friend.....

I do have a concern regarding your build.....it's the spindles.....

Seeing how easily factory spindles are bent in collisions....and appear to me to be beefier than yours.....I wonder if yours are up to the task of the set downs after wheelies....or if they will bend to no end on the maiden flight.....:popcorn:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Dude that seat is looking good. It matches the whole look of this kart. Are you gonna paint this thing, cause I think it looks cool like it is maybe just clear coat it?

Status
Not open for further replies.