2015 - Long Travel Micro-Buggy Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
Brake caliper installed and steering wheel and pedals mocked up. The upper steering block will tie into the roll cage so I'm waiting on more material to do that.

Attachments

• WP_20150722_007.jpg
    WP_20150722_007.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20150722_006.jpg
    WP_20150722_006.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 20

machinist@large

Reaction score
Almost there

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: Uhmmm, there's no lateral bracing in the frame between the mid bar and the front, or in the cage except for the roof top?!?!?!!!!! The areas without any bracing are the one's that also count, since those areas are where your arms and legs reside, and if the cage fails, add your head and neck....... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah...he needs a couple of more bars....but, while maybe a little different than what we're used to seeing, I think is pretty well engineered....and with the addition of some small gussets should be very strong.

Let's see what else he has in mind...he may be trying to avoid traditional bracing for certain accessibility or comfort requirements.

Some of what I see: the front bars are triagulated to resist front to back crush....the biggest weak point I see is at the frame...thats where I would put a short bar angling back or one running forward....

The back has angled corners to help resist crush laterally...some gussets and one angular bar would help that....in the same vein, the front has a half bar for the steering support....again...making it go side to side on an angle would still give that open leg room I think he was going for and give the front that lateral support....

But mainly....gussets, gussets, gussets.....highly underrated, unobtrusive but extremely effective.

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
Oh, wow. Haha Yeah, I really did not mean to imply that it was even close to its final form, probably should have used a different caption. Poboy pretty much hit the nail on the head with the sides being open for accessibility. I'm 6'2" and don't want to have to fold up to get in and out. But besides that, I do still have A LOT more metal to add, just trying to figure out how I wanna do it to make it look good right now.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah....I could tell from what you'd done so far that you were probably going to add more....(and were probably studying a bit on it to try and get it right the first time)....which is what I meant by: "Let's see what he has in mind....."

slidewayz

Reaction score
You would be amazed at how much just a simple "X" in the rear roll bar behind the seat would add in strength. And rather than the normal go-kart steering support from the frame up to the column, I would put a cross bar between the two forward roll bars and hang the column from that....that would add some strength to the front of your cage. Nice build and good luck...your certainly going to terrain I am not in my kart...lol
:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.