2015 - DesertDuler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertduler

Reaction score
:huh: :huh: In your video of the engine, looking back over the clutch and pipe, there's something loose on the crankshaft. What is it, and does it have a purpose???? :huh: :huh:
Nothing loose Pat, that is the counter weight rotating on the output shaft and because of the Go Pro frames per second you can see different frequencies of RPM, kind of like watching a spoke wheel in fluorescent light that makes them look like they are rotating backwards at some speeds, I ran this kart all day and nothing came loose or fell off. Rotary combustion engines are externally balanced on both ends of the eccentric shaft :thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

That thing sounds amazing and looks like it drives well I'm glad u got it finished
Thank you Sir! :thumbsup:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Is that all? I mean what a boring video, I expected better from you. I mean Slide had his grandson driving on his, Joe at least had a small burnout on his and you, nothing but circles. :lolgoku: Hold on, I'm only kidding. That thing is Friggin Great! Did wifey even get to drive it yet? What does she think, is she happy? :stir:

Three builds have impressed me the most this year and this is one of them. I could not wait to see the finished product, way cool!

Denny
:feedtroll:

Desertduler

Reaction score
Is that all? I mean what a boring video, I expected better from you. I mean Slide had his grandson driving on his, Joe at least had a small burnout on his and you, nothing but circles. :lolgoku: Hold on, I'm only kidding. That thing is Friggin Great! Did wifey even get to drive it yet? What does she think, is she happy? :stir:

Three builds have impressed me the most this year and this is one of them. I could not wait to see the finished product, way cool!

Denny
:feedtroll:
LOL! Thanks Denny! She was out there all day with me as we had both karts out and she was the one that filmed my qualifying video, she loves it! that little engine is as smooth as an electric motor,I am very pleased with the end results that yellow kart handles better than mine so I am going to have to build me a frame like hers now! Yeah I normally lay out a bigger track and I was not able to ring that engine out all the way because of the size of the test track but it was fun and I was giving her some driving lessons so I wanted to be able to watch her drive. Thank you for the compliment if the kart impresses you then I am truly flattered!

urquiola

Reaction score
Thanks. Me too!

Attached please find images of my disassembled engine parts batch, one of the fans is from a Citroen 2CV, 602 cc flat twin, air cooled engine, the other is from a Citroen GS, versions of this engine from 1050 to 1299 cc existed, all flat four, like Subaru engines. Regards, + salut

Attachments

• KC-27 piecerio a.jpg
    KC-27 piecerio a.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 8
  • KC-27 piecerio b .jpg
    KC-27 piecerio b .jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 7
  • KC-27 piecerio c .jpg
    KC-27 piecerio c .jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 8
  • KC 27 Motociclismo.jpg
    KC 27 Motociclismo.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Yanmar Reed-Valve Data.jpg
    Yanmar Reed-Valve Data.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Desertduler

Reaction score
Here is my entry for the 2015 DIYGK contest.It is a kart that I am going to build for my wife and all the design,fabrication,welding and machining will be done by myself.The engine is a 1970 Curtiss Wright rotary combustion engine which was made in Germany by Sachs and the engine has been modified by me for more power output.[/Attached please find images of my disassembled engine parts lot. Regards, + salut
]
You have a Sachs KC 27 that is reed valved from a Hercules W2000 motorcycle, that engine as you know has a vacuum controlled valve that changes the intake porting from bridge side porting to peripheral porting at certain RPM ranges, do you have the transmission for this engine also? Thank you for posting and I would like to see more of what you intend to do with this engine. :thumbsup:

Desertduler

Reaction score
Being as it is getting closer to the end of this build off competition here are some facts and figures about my entry as a reference regarding this build, this kart is built with the intent of the use of high output snowmobile engines as power plants and rough service use on dry lake beds and dirt and gravel roads.There are many little things that I have not listed but might be noted in the build thread.

Frame: 1 1/4 X .072 square tubing.
Front Axle: 1 1/2 X .083 square tubing.
Front King Pins: .625 stainless steel.
Caster Angle: + 15 degrees.
Camber Angle: 10 degrees.
Front Steering Spindles: Custom made with .625 sealed bearings with .750 axles, spindle height is adjustable by washer stacks for weight transfer.
Tie Rod Heim Joints: 3/8 QS Components,Inc.
Steering Geometry:True Ackermann for the wheelbase.
Steering Wheel: SCOOTER-X Sport Kart
Rear Axle: 1.00 X 40 inches mounted in serviceable pillow block bearings.
Wheels: Aluminium Azusa Tri Stars custom machined with blacked out centers.
Brake: Manco mechanical disc caliper with a 8 inch modified rotor.
Clutch: Comet clutch drum 12 tooth #35 with custom made internals.
Rear Sprocket: Manco 80 tooth 9986 #35 custom machined and lightened mounted to a modified axle sprocket hub.
Gearing: 6.6:1
Chain: D.I.D. #35 chain 86 links.
Fuel Tank: BAM MFG Spun aluminium 1 gallon capacity.
Seat: Summit Racing poly seat part number SUM-G1100.
Engine: 1975 Sachs KM24 Rotary Combustion Engine 295 cc's 23 HP @ 6000 RPM without enhancements.
Engine Enhancements: Mild bridge and exhaust porting, engine is capable of 8500 RPM with the installation of a 32mm Mikuni. Engine output and RPM is greater with these modifications.
Carburetor: Currently a VM32 Mikuni.
Air Filter: UNI Foam clamp on.
Fuel Pump: Pierburg mechanical.
Exhaust: 2 inch 304 stainless steel header with a Jones Turbine stainless steel 2 inch muffler.
Rear Tires: 15X6.00-6
Front Tires:13X6.00-6
Fuel: Premium pump gasoline.
Gas - Oil Mix: 25:1.
Oil: Maxima K2 Synthetic two cycle oil SAE 40.
Air Filter Oil: Bel Ray Foam Air Filter Oil.
Chain Lube: PJ1 Black Label.

Attachments

• kart.jpg
    kart.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 24

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
Being as it is getting closer to the end of this build off competition here are some facts and figures about my entry as a reference regarding this build,

facts and figures about mine:

a pile of unwanted parts and scrap metal tossed together into a fun build-off entry.

Good luck DD!

Desertduler

Reaction score
Great Idea on the Spec Sheet DD! Very very very impressive.
Thanks, coming from you I will take that as a compliment! You ought to post one about your beautiful creation as a reference so everyone can see, I would like to see it posted with a picture of your kart. :thumbsup: :cheers2:

slidewayz

Reaction score
Thanks, coming from you I will take that as a compliment! You ought to post one about your beautiful creation as a reference so everyone can see, I would like to see it posted with a picture of your kart. :thumbsup: :cheers2:

I may just do that....I really like the idea and after all this site is a great reference source, and caters to that mindset.
:thumbsup:

Desertduler

Reaction score
Here is a little tidbit of info also that may be of some help to someone somewhat related to my build as to how one can tell the size of a VM series Mikuni Carburetor without any means of measuring the size of the bore, the size is stamped on the front of the enrichment plunger located here in these photos. The left carburetor is a 36 mm bore which is way too big for this Rotary engine and the one on the right is a 32 mm carburetor which works perfect for a hot tune up on this engine which I will post a performance video with the 32 mm carburetor in place and let this thing fly!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 7

Desertduler

Reaction score
So I have contacted the owner of this asphalt track and I have it rented for all day 10/24/2015 I had to sign a waiver accepting all responsibilities of injury and damage to myself and my own equipment etc, so I will be taking both karts out there and making some videos of my wife's kart with the 32 mm Mikuni on it.
Special thanks to Kelly Wood for bringing this track to my attention. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Asphalt Track.jpg
    Asphalt Track.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 12

Desertduler

Reaction score
And here is a copy of the release waiver that one must sign to protect the land owner from being sued and or held liable for death, injury, or damage etc.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.