2 seat project/rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3480h

Reaction score
Time to spoil the grandkids. Found this old Fox II locally and bought it knowing it needs a lot of work. So far I've discovered every drive component is shot, and that's not a surprise. I bought all new, including a new electric start Duromax 7 hp. The list includes a new 70 tooth sprocket, a new 12 tooth Hilliard extreme duty centrifugal clutch, a new #35 chain, new 14.5/70-6knobby tires and tubes, a new hydraulic disk brake, new seats and new seat belts. (Whew!)

The kart will be used on relatively flat ground (6 acres), part dirt, part gravel, part grass. The goal is just fun for the kids, but grampa may get to drive it once in a while.

While I'm at it, I'll strip the frame and paint it, replace bearings/bushings, tighten up the steering, and no doubt other things as needed. Advice welcome!

Tom

Attachments

• Kart July '14.jpg
    Kart July '14.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 7

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Hi grandpa Tom, did you forget your gray haired 40y/O step grandkid from around the way,down here in Texas? :lolgoku:
Sweet ride! That is just the bomb! You do realize that they will remember this, FOREVER, right? Good job! I wish I had an electric start kart, all 8 of mine you got to pull.....
Post up pics, man.... We like pics..... Before and after.....

n3480h

Reaction score
Ha! I lived in Dallas for a bit at age 16, but I don't recall any activity there that may have produced a grandchild.

I love spoiling grandkids. I recently finished a 6 foot long biplane swing for them. Scrap wood, a few pieces of hardware, a little leftover paint. Even added a swiveling machine gun with a small electronic machine gun sound module set up with a trigger. Prop is bearing mounted, so any decent wind will spin it. The 5 year old loves it. No doubt they will also love the kart. Painting it gender neutral orange (two boys, two girls).

Tom

Attachments

• Kirra flying bipe.jpg
    Kirra flying bipe.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 10

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:smiley_omg:
I know the book those plans came from my dad had the whole collection.... We never did get that plane.... :mad: BUT we got bikes instead......
That's a sweet swing..... Now I gotta build something like that.....

n3480h

Reaction score
Plans??? There are PLANS???!!!

No plans for this one. I've been around aircraft most of my life, so the "lines" are embedded somewhere in my head. It was ad libbed.

However, the full scale two seat 150mph beast I am building IS plans built (pic). It's good training for rebuilding a kart.:thumbsup:

Tom

Attachments

• Sonerai_9-30-12_A.jpg
    Sonerai_9-30-12_A.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:smiley_omg::funnypost:
That's awesome! I want a mini plane before I die..... They are just too cool. Something about flying around like the birds do.... It's just a great feeling being up there..... :kewlsmiley:

n3480h

Reaction score
Well, I'll call this my build log.

Got into the kart today. I assumed that everything that rotated would be junk - and I was right. The old 5hp Robin had been abused and the keyway on the crank was broken out so that a key would no longer work. The little centrifugal clutch was toast, with just a trace of bronze bearing left. Never did find the shaft key, just some black crusty junk where a key should be, lol. The 60 tooth sprocket would likely make a good table saw blade, since all of the teeth are pointed and quite sharp.
The band brake was very scored and oil soaked, and the drum was rusted. 3 of the 4 worn out tires will not hold air for more than a couple hours. Multiple tire plugs are evident. Inner and outer bearings on all four wheels are chunky (shot). One seat/shoulder belt is missing, and the remaining one looks like a goat was strapped in on a regular basis. The steering wheel shaft insert is cracked, and there is a lot of play at the wheel. I can repair that so I can keep the fox logo at the center of the wheel. Good thing I've already bought many major parts for this project, because it's gonna need 'em.

So, questions are: Do I retain the two Fox II logo stickers at the front of the floor pan, or scrap them? If I machine my own billet pedals will that lower the value of the kart? Not sure I care, because it will remain in the family for some years. Tube or tubeless tires on the one piece rims? Anyone have plans or schematics for decent LED lights? I'll be using a 240 AH lithium ferrite battery (1.4 pounds).

Tom

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the value of the kart going down. They are not collectable or anything like that. Anything you do is only going to raise the value

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.