2 engines, one per wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cojaro

Reaction score
Would this be possible? I was thinking about go kart variations and trying to get more power, when I thought of putting a small engine (40-50cc) to drive one rear wheel, and another identical to drive the other rear wheel. Their throttle cables would connect to the same gas pedal (perhaps a dual gas pedal system, with a third fake pedal in the middle, that, when pressed, would press down on both gas pedals, thus making it go at once; also would allow for the driver, if offroading, to give one wheel power while the other one doesn't move).

Think this would work? I'm not gonna try it anytime soon because I'm still working on my mini-chopper (frame should be done by the end of december).

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds wacky! might have some throttle issues, response times might be different, stuff like that. I dunno.

Lead Foot

Reaction score
Sounds wacky! might have some throttle issues, response times might be different, stuff like that. I dunno.

Well, you would need a split live axel becese the engine cant be turned around or the wheel would turn backwards. Sound possible and cool!

cojaro

Reaction score
whats the point???

Off-roading. If you have only one wheel being powered and you get stuck and that's the wheel that can't move, well SOL. But if each wheel has an engine of it's own, an axle of it's own, then you can avoid that altogether.

the thnikkaman

Reaction score
I think the idea is feasable, although, the engines have to be close to each other in horsepower and design, otherwise your kart will have a hard time going straight. I don't know if this is possible, but you could somehow hook a tachometer to each engine and use a drive-by-wire system to control the throttle of each engine. If you do decide to tackle the project, make sure to take pictures as it is a very unique project. Good Luck.:)

bush_basher

Reaction score
2 engine ballance

if u try 2 engins i would consider the positioning of the engins if it works because if horse power is wat u looking for n u suceed and head into a courner at speed n not having proper speed 2 weight distrabution u could slide out or even tip the cart if the wheels hit a hole or just simply get to much traction

Last edited:

hondaman

Reaction score
no don't

if you wand both wheels to be powered change the axle get a derect drive axle and sprocket in the middle so both wheels get power. if u get 2 engines you will have to mantaince 2 engines and if one screws up you'll go in circles.

Burning Rubber

Reaction score
thats a good idea and all but what about turning corners aince theres no differentials. But i suppose you don't have to worry all too much about that on off-road.

Status
Not open for further replies.