2:1 Centrifugal gear box or a torque converter

Jims83cj5

Reaction score
Hi, I’m going to run a 9 hp with a 1” shaft, I don’t want a centrifugal dry clutch because I don’t think they are strong enough. Which of the two remaning options is best. I will be running this primary below freezing temps.Thx

JimD

Reaction score
Belts hold up good in freezing weather, they are on 95% of snowmobiles. Denny how do you know he has a 20mm shaft? I open up quite a few of my clutches to fit the Honda 20mm shaft but I would ask Certified Parts Corp (the company that bought Hoffco-Comet) if they make a 20mm T/C .

Jims83cj5

Reaction score
Yes, but he has a 20mm output shaft to complicate things with. I really think he would be better off either having the shaft turned down or ditching the engine all together. But I’m in the USA.
The sled has a jack shaft, a gear will b put on the jack shaft which is one inch. The the chain from that shaft goes to to the engine. The question remains is a centrifugal 2:1 gear box with a built in wet clutch (Bolts on just like TC) a better set up than a normal TC

Attachments

• 588AC906-0A21-4B82-95A5-DF28729D854B.png
    588AC906-0A21-4B82-95A5-DF28729D854B.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
The sled has a jack shaft, a gear will b put on the jack shaft which is one inch. The the chain from that shaft goes to to the engine. The question remains is a centrifugal 2:1 gear box with a built in wet clutch (Bolts on just like TC) a better set up than a normal TC
Yes.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If the engine comes with a wet clutch the crank has always measured out to 20mm. Also you can’t put a CVT on it because you only have 1/2 the rpm.

Jims83cj5

Reaction score
If the engine comes with a wet clutch the crank has always measured out to 20mm. Also you can’t put a CVT on it because you only have 1/2 the rpm.
Hi, it does not come with anything attached, I have the choice between my 3/4” or 1” as both drive systems can be purchased for either crank shaft. It’s an either or thing, if I go with the wet clutch gear box then I adjust the jack shaft gear to match the same RPM a TC would do with the larger gear on the jack shaft. Just trying to determine which of the two is a stronger option. There seams to be limited info on the wet clutch 2:1 gear box.