1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2thegame

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi people!

I'm from New Zealand and wanting to build a go kart throughout this summer. Trouble is, I don't know much about this stuff and am relying on my dad.

I wanted to know how much on average it costs to build a go kart from scratch. I don't want a real flash one, just something that is fun and won't cost to much.

We have a 3.5hp push lawn mower motor, is that strong enough to power the go kart?

And does anyone have any plans or ideas i could use, cheers!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum. There is a pretty broad spectrum when it comes to kart building costs. Some have done it for close to free, I did it for about $200, some spend more than $1000. I invite you to take a good, long ramble through the forum and examine what others have done. You'll get a feel for what parts are needed, where to source them, cost factors, and ways to recycle stuff and maybe save some money. Cheers!
 

shakey0818

New member
Messages
332
Reaction score
0
Welcome to the forum. There is a pretty broad spectrum when it comes to kart building costs. Some have done it for close to free, I did it for about $200, some spend more than $1000. I invite you to take a good, long ramble through the forum and examine what others have done. You'll get a feel for what parts are needed, where to source them, cost factors, and ways to recycle stuff and maybe save some money. Cheers!

:iagree:
 

new2thegame

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Welcome to the forum. There is a pretty broad spectrum when it comes to kart building costs. Some have done it for close to free, I did it for about $200, some spend more than $1000. I invite you to take a good, long ramble through the forum and examine what others have done. You'll get a feel for what parts are needed, where to source them, cost factors, and ways to recycle stuff and maybe save some money. Cheers!

Cool. Thanks
 

Orange Krate

Active member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
14
Location
North Texas
Welcome!

There were some production go-karts that used verticle crank shaft engines and much discussion here about making them work. In the end I would recommend looking for a horizontal crank shaft engine. You can sometimes find 3 or 3.5 horse edger motors for cheap or free.
 

sexyvicta

New member
Messages
806
Reaction score
2
where abouts in NZ are you? if you're in Auckland i can sell you a reel mower with a Tecumseh h35 for cheap. It has a clutch and plenty of sprokets, chains and other bits n pieces which you could use to build a kart.
 

new2thegame

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
where abouts in NZ are you? if you're in Auckland i can sell you a reel mower with a Tecumseh h35 for cheap. It has a clutch and plenty of sprokets, chains and other bits n pieces which you could use to build a kart.

Yeah I'm in Auckland..

How much?
 

new2thegame

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
where abouts in NZ are you? if you're in Auckland i can sell you a reel mower with a Tecumseh h35 for cheap. It has a clutch and plenty of sprokets, chains and other bits n pieces which you could use to build a kart.

also is there a place somewhere that would have like cheap frames or anything??
 

sexyvicta

New member
Messages
806
Reaction score
2
Yeah I'm in Auckland..

How much?

$50. Its slightly dismantled but all the bits you'll need are there i think. I put some petrol down the plug hole a while back and it fired up. Needs the carb looking at tho. In good condition they usualy sell for a couple hundred. I sold one two weeks ago for $250.

look on trademe for kart stuff or maybe ring a racing kart shop. Its hard to find a cheap gokart frame but you could try at the Waitakere dump-shop(weekdays). You could also try at a scrap dealer- theres a good one on Captain Springs Rd in Onehunga that will sell you anything. He sells mowers for 20-50 and bikes aswel. Most wont sell to the public.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top