1st kart build need your expert advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

209rocksstop

first build
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
central valley California
Hello as I mentioned I am a noob to the scene so be patient with me please. My daughter has become interested in building a kart so I found this frame at a garage sale and am trying to id it. recently took it to a swap meet and had several old timers stumped, I got a few sugestions ranging from "older trick kart" to "invader". Any ideas? I would also like to understand how to deterimine the the proper spindle geometry for this kart I dont plan on investing to much more $ so I will probably fabricate them. So any info at this point is appreciated. Also if aditional pictures would help let me know ill post them asap. Thank you for your help.
 

Attachments

  • 14577500243081301035008.jpg
    14577500243081301035008.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160311_183229.jpg
    20160311_183229.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20160311_183116.jpg
    20160311_183116.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160311_183148.jpg
    20160311_183148.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 6

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
By golly...I hate to be the one to have to break this to ya.....but there's just no way we can take on another Californian at this time....Maybe if Chancer wasn't here...we could tolerate a couple...but dangit...we're just at capacity with his dumb butt around! !!!

JK...Welcome to the forum....(after you're around awhile)..you'll understand what all that's about...(it's all in good fun)....
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Hi, can't help you ID'ing the chassis I'm afraid.

That type of kart is more or less generic... not too many distinct differences between to chassis the same age and style.
So yeah... without a frame number (normally on a crashproof [reads hidden] spot like the bearing retainers, spindle brackets, mastercylinder mount.. center framerail...etc.)

Spindles are very straight forward actually.. make sure the axle is perfectly horizontal and you're set.
but spindles are fairly cheap (maybe 40bucks for a decent used set)
from the looks I'd say you'd need 17mm european spindles (CRG, Tony, Haase...etc.)

Do you have anything else than the chassis?
wheels, steering wheel, floorpan, tank, engine mount... anything?

'sid
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
Kinda does look like one of the 1980's-era Invader models, but dozens of different racekart manufacturers have been copying each others designs since the 50's.... Lots of Invaders had chrome plated steering column support bars like yours and that's a fairly unique feature, although I've seen that on some other brands too.

You can compare the details of your frame to the pics from several manufactures in the 'Vintage Chassis I.D' section you'll find at this link : http://www.vdm46.com/

You could also email that site and tell them you want to buy the correct spindles. I couldnt see any way to attach pics, but you could use an off-site photo host or simply Include a link to this thread so they could view your pics and hopefully I.D. it :thumbsup:
 

209rocksstop

first build
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
central valley California
Thanks guys.The main reason I wanted to id it was to get a spec for the spindles. And I do have every thing but the spindles, we are buildings 5 hp Briggs for it. I'll post pics of it as we get it going. I made the floor pan out of sign. Anybody know where to get good tires cheap? Used is fine.
 

xeanus

New member
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
i found that a digital caliper will help you find out every measuremeant you really need to know on a kart. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago and all ive done is go between the kart with the caliper and the laptop to make sure i got the right part saved to my parts list lol
 
Last edited:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Micrometer or dial caliper? I have a digital 6" caliper...but never heard of a digital micrometer.....I have one that reads fractions ....but I need to make a chart to use it because it reads to 128 ths....and I don't know without doing math how many 128ths are in 3/8 ths for example...
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Is that 128 thousandths? because that is easy.
1/4" = .250
So 1/8 is .125
Therefore 3/8 is .375.

128 ths shoud be 1/8" +or- .003 Really no math involved.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Is that 128 thousandths? because that is easy.
1/4" = .250
So 1/8 is .125
Therefore 3/8 is .375.

128 ths shoud be 1/8" +or- .003 Really no math involved.

NOPE.....fractions!

So....64/128ths would be half an inch....So...now tell me you don't have to do a little math to figure 3/8"...

And I can do the math....just figured it would be easier to do it all at once....make a chart...(list really) ....for each 1/8"...and after doing it awhile...the numbers would be ingrained in the memory
...I just haven't done it because I really bought it for woodworking and haven't needed it....I have a mechanical dial caliper that reads thousandths....which is what you need to know with mechanical stuff anyway....

Oh..
and that's the problem....with a mechanical dial caliper....you can see whether you're above or below the known measurements....but digitally you just see 75/128ths...and not sure where you are.
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
Anybody know where to get good tires cheap? Used is fine.

You'll find that many of the top racekart drivers install a brand new set of slicks every week or so for maximum grip, and then they'll give their old ones away, sell-cheap or simply leave their used slicks at their local racekart shop.

You could try contacting some of the racekart tracks, clubs and racekart shops in your area:
https://www.tsracing.com/NewKarter/StateTracks/California.htm

You'll find lots of these tracks have web sites with a forum and classified ad section...

Most any town with a Sprintkart or Ovalkart track will have a racekart shop nearby that sells/installs race slicks, and these shops will end up accumulating dozens good-used tires. Most of these shops wont re-sell them because of possible liability issues, but they'll either give them away or simply throw them away for savvy dumpster divers to harvest the bounty... :thumbsup:

PS:
Ovalkarts run tires made to fit 6" diameter rims.
Sprintkarts run 5" diameter rims.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
NOPE.....fractions!

And I can do the math....just figured it would be easier to do it all at once....make a chart...(list really) ....for each 1/8"...and after doing it awhile...the numbers would be ingrained in the memory

Ok. And exactly... after doing it a while you just remember:thumbsup:

Amazes me how some guys will NEVER learn tho. I have seen guys keep using a cheat chart for years,
Its like How can you not learn by now! EVOLVE DAMMIT!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top