1st kart, 1st post, AND 1st question

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverlakez

Reaction score
1st kart, 1st post, AND 1st question PICS!!!!

I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now. My wife and I wanted our daughter (2yrs old) to have something to ride with us instead of a quad that was safer. SO we looked at 2 seater karts. I found a 1997 Manco Dingo 813-00 complete minus engine and seat belts. I bought a 212cc predator engine from HF today. I sprung for the 2 year warranty because when I asked the manager about it, he told me if it doesn't work the way I want it to, I can swap it out, no questions, even if I screwed it up!!!! I have the original red powder coat scuffed up and my wife and I are painting it Black with Hot Pink accents.

Question:

I have the original clutch and torque converter stuff for the original 13hp honda. Can I just put a sleeve on my 3/4" shaft to fit the 1" clutch, or can I just buy a new clutch that will work with the original TQ? Thanks!!!

souperman000

Reaction score
Do you have a lathe? If you have a lathe and make an adapter it might work. probably cheaper than buying a new $200 TC. Post up some pics of your kart!

to other people on forum - If he is downsizing, and the TC doesnt fit, might he want a CC?

silverlakez

Reaction score
I'm going to have to post some pics, because I'm still confused by the TC and direct clutch.

Thanks for the quick response!! My dad works with metal, and this is for his oldest Grand Daughter, so I'll sucker him into making one if I need to. I'm hoping to stay at $400 or less (i'm at $350)

silverlakez

Reaction score
Some pics

What is this set up called? and some pics of when I got it Wednesday and what I've done to it in the few nights I've been home.

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, you definately have a TC. You will also be able to make a sleeve fo fit over your shaft. I know you can buy them as well, but I am not too sure where. Someone else will chime in to give you more info about it.

anderkart

Reaction score
Yes you could use a 3/4" ID. x 1" OD. sheave (with a 3/16" keyway slot) to adapt your 1" bore torque converter to your engine.

The biggest problem will be that your converter has a 1/4" x 1/4" key built in, and your engines output shaft has a 3/16" x 3/16' keyway...

So to make it all fit correctly with your 1/8' thick sheave, your converters key would need to be welded/built-up to be 1/16" taller, and then you'd also need to remove 1/32" from each side of the key. Anyone attempting this mod should measure everything and double check my calculations first, but I'm thinking your hubs key would need to end up with a measurement of 3/16" wide x 5/16" tall.

I realise it would cost more, but I'd seriously consider returning your 6.5hp and upgrading to their 13 or 16hp model instead, especially if you'll be riding that fairly heavy kart with 2 adults plus the kid. Everything should bolt right on and It'd be a whole lot more fun to ride, plus you'd be increasing your karts potential resale value and the engine would last longer because it wouldnt have to work so hard.

silverlakez

Reaction score
It's not going to haul 2 adults. This will fit my wife, and kid. but that's it! lol, thanks for the sleeve measurements, I'll see what my dad has, and I know I have a bunch of key's I got from cleaning out a garage. The Kart will be going around a dirt drive around my inlaws lake mostly, and if it's got enough gumption, fields.

silverlakez

Reaction score
well, I mocked the engine up, I'm going to have to build an adaptor for it. That part should be simple, just a flat plate and some drilling to fix that and get the pulley's to line up.

I thought about making an adaptor, and then I saw on ebay a guy making exactly what I needed for $22 including shipping!! So we will see when it gets here how much I get for my money. The cart needs a throttle cable, a few more coats of paint, and I'm going to take the brake components apart and inspect and clean them. I love this site for all the info I'm getting.

silverlakez

Reaction score
remember, try to explain why you are doing something or adding a part, or taking a part off in your posts, those comments mean a lot to someone like me who is just getting started.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
I have a real nice sleeve I made for my clone with a comet 40. (yeah Im modest!)
Made it on a lathe. Went overkill and got it accurate to the nearest thou!
Then I milled the slots for the keyway.

If you have the tools you could do something similar, if not, you could make something similar to my mk1, get a 3/4" tube 1" o/d and cut some slots with an angle grinder.

silverlakez

Reaction score
at this point, I just don't have the time to do that. I should get the sleeve tomorrow in the mail, right after I get home from the dunes!! I don't have to work on sunday, so I might sneak out to the garage for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.