1st go-kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
So I decided to go into the cold and take the pics even though I cant work on the kart today (ran out of welding wire). So this is what I have so far.

I was also wandering what's the average price a costume go-kart goes for and if it would be worht the time/money to put on a body.
 

Attachments

  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 19

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
That depends on how much you can get a body for. If you're talking about a custom body, that depends on your skill set...

As a side note, I think you'll have handling/steering issued with the current setup because the engine weight is behind the axle, which will lighten the front; the further behind the axle the engine is, the lighter the front will get...
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
There will be weight added where needed and if need be I'll switch it around. And I'll make a custom body with thin sheet metal. Not looking for it to be fast so its ok if its a little on the heavy side.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Oh haaYull NO..... Dude, don't waste your cash on that. For one,it looks like a death trap. For two, it's worth maybe $50, well, to me anyway.....
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
So it's been a long time since I last came on here sorry about that :S Any ways, the go-kart was finished (pics will be up shortly) went out on a test drive and the chain snapped on me... so it's been sitting there for awhile rusting and everything... Now it needs a new tire and new chain link and paint... Yay me :surrender: Just hope I can sell it and still make a profit so I can start my next project. A mini chopper with atv tires that I had sitting around :idea2: So I'll have the pics up of the kart once i fix it up and see what you guys think and what I may be able to sell it for. Hope to here from everyone again
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
All right, I fixed up what I could till I get the parts in a day or two. So here's the pics I promised. What do you guys think I could sell it for?
 

Attachments

  • fghjkijuyhgtf 005.jpg
    fghjkijuyhgtf 005.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 22
  • fghjkijuyhgtf 010.jpg
    fghjkijuyhgtf 010.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 17
  • fghjkijuyhgtf 019.jpg
    fghjkijuyhgtf 019.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 17
  • fghjkijuyhgtf 026.jpg
    fghjkijuyhgtf 026.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 17
  • fghjkijuyhgtf 047.jpg
    fghjkijuyhgtf 047.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 19

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I don't want to sound harsh or rude but, personally, I wouldn't hand over money for that; you may find some kid who'll buy it, if it was cheap enough but, anyone who's serious probably wouldn't give it a second look...
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
Sad but I figured that's what you would say. But oh well, was my first cart from scratch and I already have better ways to make my next projects. Any pointers to my next ones and where this one went wrong?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
The 4 main issues I noticed are:
1. The seat; really?
2. The wheelbase is too long for the track width, which would make the turning circle huge
3. The right side axle section isn't supported well enough &, from the pics, it appears to be skewed
4. The outermost tubes on the sides should be cut on the opposite angle & welded closed on all 4 sides, not open & welded on one side, as you've done; the same applies to the steering "wheel"

For your next project, do lots of research regarding engineering & fabrication basics; your welding looks good but, your fab skills could use a bit of work, as in, placement & alignment of one piece to another...

Look at lots of different frames & don't limit your search to go karts, look at welded metal framework in general...
 

Scout

Nutjob
Messages
575
Reaction score
24
Location
Indiana
I've seen worse.

I agree on the length, but not just because of the turning radius, also because having little weight on the front wheels compared to the rear they will not have the traction needed to turn well.
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
May not have turned out well but it's my first so meh. And actually it turns great, I have no problems. And it's being sold (kinda). Person wants it for $600 but can't pay till august
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
597
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Come on now, that's not nice...

For a first attempt, it's not bad...

I completely agree, and said so in a previous post, but if some guy is willing to pay $600 for the kart, there must be something wrong with him. I am not saying that the kart is bad, just that it is not worth $600

I am sorry if it came off as sounding bad....I am having a bad year
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top