1st go-kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
I'm starting my first go kart now and am ordering parts that I can't make myself. Was wondering if I could make a fixed axle by having one wheel attach to the axle and the other on just bearings. Would that still work the same?
 

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Messages
444
Reaction score
10
Location
Maryland
You certainly can. That's exactly how the razor electric karts are setup (not the drift ones, they're live axle).

The sprocket, brake drum, and left wheel are connected to the axle, and the right wheel just freewheels.
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
I'm starting my first go kart now and am ordering parts that I can't make myself. Was wondering if I could make a fixed axle by having one wheel attach to the axle and the other on just bearings. Would that still work the same?

Thats how mine is ran... till I get my differential...
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Oh yea... I know all bout the low cost method. Just a word of warning running like I do.. Gunnin it will automatically cause a push/pull to the right(or opposite side of drive wheel).
 

Scout

Nutjob
Messages
575
Reaction score
24
Location
Indiana
I have a kart with a differential, It works fine on pavement but sucks in the snow. I haven't really had any issues with a solid axle kart.
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
:mad2::mad2::mad2:So the project is at a complete stand still. Northern tools is really getting on my nerves with the fact that they are not showing me or even proving to me that the parts have been ordered, how far along the lines it is to getting to me or even if it's cancelled.:mad2::mad2::mad2:
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
so I get my parts last night, didnt even know they showed up till about 10pm when i went outside and saw the boxes there, no note or anything. Bring them in, open them and the box that was supposed to hold my axle was empty... fml
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Pretty sure I know what "fml" means, lol..... been there...... that blows. Call up the delivery co and raise some hel£.....
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
Franklin must live. What else could it mean? lol And I definitely will

I also may need some help with my engine. Its been sitting for over a year in my shed with its original oil and half a tank of gas. Could there be anything bad with it?
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Uhhhh, YES..... Not from the oil, but the gas. Most likely, the fluid part has evaporated and has left the gummy varnish crap, clogging up the carb..... Id be willing to bet youre gonna have to do a complete carb clean. What engine is it?
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
6.5 Briggs. I'm a dunce when it comes to engines:surrender: so hopefully these pics help.

Also, while I was design my frame on sketchup I decided I didn't like it so I have the final design drawn. So here it is as well.
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 11

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Well my friend, being where you live, MAYBE you use a fuel.additive like STABIL. If not, this is what i will be doing tomorrow with a briggs 3.5.....
First, im gonna dump the gas thats in it. (Give a hoot!DONT pollute) Then im gonna put in some fresh gas and slosh it around, then let it sit. While its sitting, Im going to HomeDepot to get a 16oz can of de-natured alcohol. Its by the mineral spirits , in the hardware store. When I get home, Im going to pour out the gas again. Then Im going to mix up a solution of 3:1, gas-de-natured alcohol. Ill put that in the tank, then run the engine. The alcohol will break up the gummy crap in the carb and end up burning it up. NOTE I ONLY use 12 ounces / 36 ounces..... THATS IT..... I have also used high $$ mineral spirits to do this with great success,cleaning a carb, tank, and spark plug of diesel fuel..... It dissolves the deposits and flushes them through. This I just did on a crf 80 my boss's son put diesel in by mistake..... DOHHH!
If your engine dont/wont idle/run right after that, you gotta open up the carb for a deep cleaning. Unfortunetly, Im no pro with BnS carbs so hopefully someone else will chime in on a "real" clean fix....
As a side note, one of my uncles is a master at everything he does. Engines,fiberglass work,body work, I mean this cat is a "genius". KBR has patents on a few of his "ideas" when he worked for them, making them BILLIONS, and screwing him...... Anywhoo, I was getting bad gas mileage in my 89 mustang 5 speed. He bougjt a can of de natured alcohol and put it in my tank,then filled it up. After that tank, my mileage went to BETTER than what it had ever been. And stayed that way. Since then, I "clean" my fuel system every 6 months this way, in all my vehicles. I cant/wont tell yall to try/do it, but I CAN say, I have NEVER had any problems with my vehicles by doing this. It has not done any damage to my knowledge. I had the mustang for 7 years, started the cleaning treatments after the first year....
 

jroberts

New member
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Barrie Ontario
Finally got the axle and started working on the frame. Stupid me though cause I forgot to take pics. Might have them later today but if not then I'll have them up tomorrow.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
The important thing is you got the parts. I just ordered an axle from BMI. Hope it's warm out when it gets here....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top