1st Drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bshinn

Reaction score
Thanksgiving of 2012 i bought less than I bargained for in a kart restoration project.

Purchased an 83 Margay Xpert II frame thinking I could clean it up, purchase the parts I needed to get it running and have something to ride @ the GoPro Motorplex. Not so much, after getting it home and cleaning it up it was a wreck! almost gave up and started over, but am a glutton for punishment.

It was rusty, patched, scabbed, cracked, & generally shot. But after a year & a half it now sports a KT100 & new running gear.

I lit it off and rode it today. Compared to my kid's clone powered A-Bones I was disappointed.......... until it came up on the pipe! :smiley_omg:

All I can say is HOLY $H!T........the thing hit like a sledge hammer!

It's running waaaaay rich & out of alignment, and the the clutch stall speed needs to be dialed in, but it's gonna be a blast when I get it sorted.

I still have to tear it down one more time for some final repairs, powder, & chrome. Still looking for some series 62 wheels & hubs, & might try to find some Enginetics brakes to replace the MCP's that are on there now.

Long way to go and I spent more money than common sense dictates but when I get done a little piece of history will last a few more years & I will have had some fun in the progress.

Attachments

• DSCN1287.jpg
    DSCN1287.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1229.jpg
    DSCN1229.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1337.jpg
    DSCN1337.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140405_174052.jpg
    20140405_174052.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140405_174125.jpg
    20140405_174125.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 32

zbuck

Reaction score
:wai: I see it has a third bearing support on the KT. Very well done, you are to be congratulated for bringing it back to life.

bshinn

Reaction score
Not back yet, but well on the way. Thanks for the nice words.

Zbuck, after all the cash I've dumped into this thing the last thing I need is to replace a bent crank! Would like to find a 100cc IAME to put on it, but that might just bankrupt me!

Stock colors for the X-II were Black, Red,& Blue. Black is out, both my Kid's karts are Red so I'm leaning away from that. The Blue looks pretty close to OSHA blue & I'm leaning toward that.

If it were a little older I'd think about something like metal flake, but I think I will keep it simple.

Here's what I'm shooting for:

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 17

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
That is a sweet kart. And a question about your MCP brakes, Why you wanna change them ? Reason im asking is i have MCP's on mine just like yours. It seemed to stop ok but i didnt ride it that much.

bshinn

Reaction score
Enginetics were what came on the kart to begin with......simple as that, but they went out of business years ago. MCP's are great brakes & I will abuse them with no worries!

zbuck

Reaction score
:wai:
Not back yet, but well on the way. Thanks for the nice words.

Zbuck, after all the cash I've dumped into this thing the last thing I need is to replace a bent crank! Would like to find a 100cc IAME to put on it, but that might just bankrupt me!

Stock colors for the X-II were Black, Red,& Blue. Black is out, both my Kid's karts are Red so I'm leaning away from that. The Blue looks pretty close to OSHA blue & I'm leaning toward that.

If it were a little older I'd think about something like metal flake, but I think I will keep it simple.

Here's what I'm shooting for:

:wai: You are Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.