1996 Suzuki RF900R Engine

Should I buy it? (read post before vote)


  • Total voters
    7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurph

Code Poet
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Chattanooga, TN
I'm probably gonna post this on motokarts, too... I found an engine from a 96 rf900r. 124hp, 73ft. lb torque, 10k rpm.

Way more than I need, or even want... But..

The guy wants $100 for the engine, carbs, the wiring harness, and the igniter (CDI Unit). Some assembly required.

He says the harness is in good shape, no cut connectors. The carbs are "a basket case" and would need to be stripped down and cleaned. He says it turns freely and has compression.

I'm interested in putting time into this engine to make it run right. I can get my own radiator and hoses, that I'm ok with. I have a lot of time, but (especially with christmas) not too much money. I can swing the $100 for the engine, and even another $50 for a coolant system.

Anybody think this is gonna turn into a money pit? I'd be ok if I could get it running for less than another $100 (cooling included)

Anyone wanna shine some light on the subject?
 

NJOHC

New member
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Location
NJ
If the guy's not lieing and you give it some time to come together then I'd go for it. IDK what you want to use it on, but there's same amazing plans out there that'll rip with that on them.
 

Smurph

Code Poet
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Chattanooga, TN
Yeah, It's about an hour drive from here. Something I'm willing to do for such a deal.

With christmas right around the corner, I'm a little strapped for cash. I feel like I can still swing the $100 since I find it incredibly hard to turn this deal down.


What I'm mostly worried about here is falling into a money pit. Anyone here doubt I'll have a good running engine with less than another $100?

I've never worked on this type of an engine, but I suppose it wont be all that hard or even different. I'm really good about finding information.

I'll have this on the awd platform I've been designing. Since it's even more powerful than I had hoped for, I might even be doing the drive shaft option since I can divide my output by 3 and still turn wheels 3000rpm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top