1986 moto-4/badger

Status
Not open for further replies.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
ok,so my 1986 yamaha moto-4 80cc wont start,ive cleaned the carb and it still wont start.
can i push start these things?It has a semi-auto matice gear box were you just hit the gas and shift gears without clutch.
any sugestions?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
If it won't start properly, what makes you thing pushing will help?

Check the usuals- air, fuel, spark, compression. Pull the plug, pour a teaspoon of fuel into the chamber, put the plug back in, crank it.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
um,i have no way to crank it, its electric start and its over 20yrs old so idk if its going to crank,thats why i asked if i could push start it.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
If you can't crank it that could be why it's not starting... You could try push starting it, but I wouldn't be too faithful in that working. You should probably get the electric start working. I'm going to assume there is no kick starter?

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
No kick start, just eletric start. I tried push starting it today...i ended over the handle bars. I am going to get new rings for the carburator too. Going to talk to the previous owner aswell

cumminsbayou4x4

Reaction score
what do you mean new rings for the carb and you cAN PUSH START them i do it all the time on my 4 wheelers if you have another 4 wheeler or somthing take it tie a rope to it and tie a rope to the moto 4 then get some one to get on the other thing and start to pull you as they get up to speed shift in to gear and shift to like 3rd or 4th gear and let them pull you if it starts then shift down and holg the lever down so you coast then get someone to untie the rope and you can see if its gonna run then

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
i ment intake manifold ring seals. and will my lawn mower do for a pull? i just bypassed the governor so i can get short burst of 15 mph mabey. and the dude said manifold seals is all i need cause he said it was running, i also saw him drive it.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
bump-update, i called the yamaha dealer and they said that they would would order them and sell them to me at 5$ a pop. and i just remebered i did a pulley swap on the mower so i will definetly go more that 15mph. push starting it is a necessity cause i dont have a battery
none of this is gunna happen soon, im gunna be outa condition for a few days cause i just got done with mouth surgery a couple of hours ago and it hurts like a BIT**.

fowler

Reaction score
There's only so many reasons the starter won't work

Try jumping straight to the starter of the bike
Clamp the earth to the battery and get the + to the positive on the starter it should crank over

Some sparks will come off but don't worry
Unless u touch the frame with the positive

Assuming its 12v u can use any battery u want

Also does it have any safety sensors like having up be in neutral or having to apply the brake?

If all the sensors are working and it won't crank then the starter isn't working

cumminsbayou4x4

Reaction score
just push start it first then ride it for a while if the battery in it is any good it should get charged do you no the starter wont work there is probilly no safter stuff like pulling the brake in

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
ok,so im gunna order the seals soon, boats.net has the gaskets that i need.

and i dont think theres any saftey stuff on a 1986 yamaha atv.

so does anyone know how to adjust the rear brakes?
there is a wing nut adjuster and i dont want to mess it up cause i dont know what im doing, the hand brake is weak but the foot brake work very well.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
i know the motor need new seals but i got bored and tried to go start the bike, i got a engine battery charger with a boost mode to it and hooked it up to the ground wire and hooked up the positive to the starter, it started cranking and if i put it in 1st or 2nd gear it would slowley move, so i started to push the quad as it was trying to turn over, it was like the engine wanted to turn over but it didnt, i could feel exuast coming out the pipe so the motor was running and compresion was good but as soon as i turned the power off the engine stoped "running", i dont know if it was actually igniting the fuel/air mixture or if it was just sucking in and spiting out with no spark.
any sugestions?

btw, the battery booster thing was wireless just incase you were wondering. and just for ****s and gigles i hooked the positive up to the frame...and that was cool. it sorta melted the wire but it was still cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.