1980 Honda Express 2 Moped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
I had been searching locally for a mini bike, mainly a Baja Warrior, and I came across this for $50. The pictures were not very clear and of just parts and pieces. The ad said “parts only, are worth money on ebay”. I do buy and sell items on ebay, so I figured it should be worth it, especially since I had seen another complete but not running one of these locally on CL for $600.

When I went to check it out, it turned out to be an almost complete bike, just disassembled. The guy said the engine did run, but wouldn’t stay on, and he didn’t have time to put it back together and was living in an apartment and didn’t have room for it anymore.

I have never owned a scooter, moped or motorcycle before and in fact I have never owned any kind of Honda, so this is all new territory to me. I think this thing looks pretty cool, so might as well dive into two wheelers, as if I don't have enough projects already.

So what I got is a 1980 Honda Express 2 NA50, 49cc two stroke moped. Has all the main parts. Frame with original paint and graphics. Both tires, both have decent tread and are holding air. Original seat in great shape. Front and back fenders in great shape. Throttle and brake handles. Engine, brakes, two carbs and various other parts and pieces. I know for sure I am lacking a gas tank and headlight box and the wire harness has been cut.

I am going to try to get this at least assembled with the parts and pieces I do have and then go from there. Maybe it will run someday.

20170303_203619.jpg

20170303_203303.jpg

20170303_203322.jpg

20170303_203432.jpg

Here is photo of a complete one I found on the web:
1980-Honda-NA50-Express-II.jpg

Ebrownie

Reaction score
I don't know whether to think that is super cool or one of the uglier things I've seen today... Lol jk that looks like it will be a neat project if you can get parts for it.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Cool beans, mang. A good deal for $50 I think.

It's an interesting frame shape but it kind of grows on you, and hey it's a Honda.
That frame and all the parts look mint. I'd just use a bit of polish, wax and buff the frame up--looks basically rust and blemish free.

I found your parts list at my favorite supplier. Each heading opens into some nice exploded views...http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1980/NA50+A/parts.html

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
Cool beans, mang. A good deal for $50 I think.

It's an interesting frame shape but it kind of grows on you, and hey it's a Honda.
That frame and all the parts look mint. I'd just use a bit of polish, wax and buff the frame up--looks basically rust and blemish free.

I found your parts list at my favorite supplier. Each heading opens into some nice exploded views...http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1980/NA50+A/parts.html

Wow, thanks Hellion, that link is going to help me a lot, I appreciate your help.

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
I just recently got back on this project. I've been on the lookout for parts, happened to come across a box of misc parts on ebay for $40 and got a gas/oil tank for another $20. I started to assemble it this week. I'd say it is about 85% complete. There are a lot of parts on ebay, but they are pricey, so I'm gonna be patient and wait for some deals on the remaining parts I need.

20170426_191620.jpg

20170426_191653.jpg

Attachments

• 20170426_191708.jpg
    20170426_191708.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 2

Hellion

Reaction score
Well, if you are surfing Ebay and want the parts yesterday, you're gonna pay through the nose. It pays to search long and hard and be patient. Not every seller thinks their used moped parts are made of gold. ;)

But you knew that. Good find on the parts box stuff you did find.

This thing is looking really good and the sun lit photos show it even better. Just has some "patina" here and there.

Hellion

Reaction score
Hey, this thing isn't really a moped is it? Mopeds can be pedaled like a bicycle.
I guess it's just a light scooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.