1979 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
If you do gut the cats, weld a pipe straight through so it doesn't throw off the scavenging.

And like jamyers said, there's no need for two crossover pipes.

jamyers

Reaction score
If you do gut the cats, weld a pipe straight through so it doesn't throw off the scavenging.

And like jamyers said, there's no need for two crossover pipes.

You mean a pipe inside the gutted cats? I've never heard of that before, just seen lots of gutted cats on cars that run fine. If anything, Dave Vizard's comments about the exhaust "seeing" a larger diameter and "thinking" it's hit open atmosphere (and sending a reverse pulse back up the pipe to the engine) would lead me to simply gutting them and not worrying about their insides anymore...
:shrug:

I'd think that with stock manifolds, just opening up the cats and going to true duals is going to make enough of a difference.

Rivvy03

Reaction score
Cool car and gotta love those '70's BOP's! Just a thought, engine could be a 403, if its a Olds engine. Olds put a butt load of 403's into a lot of those corporate GM body styles as well as Pontiac Trans Ams from '77-'79 I believe. My 79 TA had the Olds 403. They were a 180 hp 320 lbs ft of torque monster engines! That car could be one of poss 4 engines i believe, 350 Chevy, 350 Olds, 403 Olds, or even a 350 Olds diesel if I'm not mistaken.

South Kart3377

Kart designer
Reaction score
Cool car and gotta love those '70's BOP's! Just a thought, engine could be a 403, if its a Olds engine. Olds put a butt load of 403's into a lot of those corporate GM body styles as well as Pontiac Trans Ams from '77-'79 I believe. My 79 TA had the Olds 403. They were a 180 hp 320 lbs ft of torque monster engines! That car could be one of poss 4 engines i believe, 350 Chevy, 350 Olds, 403 Olds, or even a 350 Olds diesel if I'm not mistaken.
1 its gas, 2 I have the options sheet Olds 350, Short body A/C, 63 Amp Delco-Remy Alternator, Smog Pump Delete, Royale Package, Full size Spare, Standard Royale Wheel covers, Cruise Control, Rear Window defogger, Cloth seats, Turbo-Hydromatic 350 Transmission, 2-speaker AC-Delco FM radio, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power trunk lock.

Rivvy03

Reaction score
It was merely a suggestion as GM did some funky engine swaps in the 70's. I have know guys with GTO's, that come with 400 Pontiac Ram Air 3 engines factory, have gotten standard 400's instead. Relax and take slow deep breaths as i was only suggesting not knocking ur ride in any way. Bty, if it says "rocket" on the air cleaner than its a true rocket, if not than a standard low performer smogged 350 like the rest are from that era. Have a nice day and good luck!

FatCat

2 stroke Addict!
Reaction score
Is it a big block? Olds rockets are big block 350's. I used to have a jet boat with a 403 olds. Ran ok until I blew it up. Lol

FatCat

2 stroke Addict!
Reaction score
That might be a 350 big block in that car. That's not a typo. My brother had a Olds 88 with a big block 350(not the standard sbc 350) in it when we were in high school. Not sure why it was the bigger block for only 350ci but they certainly do exist. If it is a 455 will bolt right in. They're about identical. Don't even need to change mounts. He beat the piss out of the olds 350 for a couple years until he had it burning a lot of oil. Then we bolted a 455 in it. Keep that in mind if you ever need to swap. 455 should plop right in.

Rivvy03

Reaction score
The 403 is and was intended for bigger cars, delta's, cruiser's, and so on. It basically was a station wagon engine, low hp rating big low end torque. Olds 260-403 engines are physically bigger than the Chevy sb's so the assumption is that they are a "big block" but really not. The 400, 425, and 455 are big blocks because they have a taller deck height {10.625 vs 9.33} to accommodate the larger stroke on the crank. Regards to the 455 swap..it is as simple as swapping motor mounts 350's onto the 455 BUT, remember the 455 will sit in the engine bay about 1" taller, doesn't sound like a lot but think about how much closer the air cleaner will be to the hood. One way to correct this is to get the engine mounts and frame mounts from the SAME 455 that it was from and swap BOTH mounts. I say go for the 455, minor improvements to the engine like intake manifold, air cleaner, headers with true duels (scrap the crappy manifolds) cross over pipe is a plus, recurve the distributor, put a GOOD carb on it, plugs and wires and you will not be disappointed!! You would need to do a lot more to that 350 to make it move like that 455 would, they just don't make the torque needed to make that big car go. Oh, one more thing and prob a very important one, replace the oil pump. It will insure that the engine will have good oil pressure plus its a cheap insurance policy for problems that could be avoided later on.

jamyers

Reaction score
Thanks, Rivvy for the clarification on block sizes. I'm much more familiar with old Buicks than Olds's, but I was thinking that the Olds engines were similar but not same. (Buick V8's are also much bigger than ch*bbies, makes me lol when guys see a Buick 350 and think its a "big block" because it's intake manifold is as wide as it is long. Then they refuse to believe that it's 100lbs lighter than a ch*bby 350 and doesn't need 4-bolt mains to outlive one- lol.)

Good to learn about the Olds family!

Back on topic, I'd run the Olds 350 until it died (which may be forever), then think about swaps / rebuilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.