1970 Polaris 400. Buildin my go kart..NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKEDOUTX19

Reaction score
Ok model is:
I Know it is a Polaris 398cc Motor,(might be a 1970 Polaris Charger motor) might be bored out to 440 but dont know. Thats what the guy said.its a EC40P.
the engine is a two cylinder two stroke with a cooling fan built into the flywheel. It is rated 27 hp at 6,500 RPM (maybe more?). It has 2 Mikuni VM30 carburetors on it. is the oil mixed with the gasoline at a specified ratio of 20:1?? That's 1 US quart of 2 cycle sled oil mixed to five US gallons of regular gasoline right??. Spark plug is NGK B7ES gapped at .020"?

Anyone got any info to help me with parts? I think i need a new ignition coil as there is great compression just no spark.
And what gearing should i run to get a lot of low pull, but still hit like 60?
It is going to be an offroad kart, as i have like 12-14" tires on the back that are like 8" inches wide.

Whatcha guys think? Anyone worked on one of these?
And i have a pretty good sturdy frame, will post more pics?

Attachments

• get-attachment2aspx.jpg
    get-attachment2aspx.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 25
  • get-attachment_aspx.jpg
    get-attachment_aspx.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 15

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I am going to assume this does not have a CDI pack because of the age. I would check the points before you go spending money on a coil (unless the coil is physically broken) Replace the points and condenser and adjust to specs.

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
That thing would make a LOT more power with a pair of expansion chambers on it instead of that two into one exhaust manifold, ;) :cool:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
That thing would make a LOT more power with a pair of expansion chambers on it instead of that two into one exhaust manifold, ;) :cool:

Good luck finding the right expansion chamber for that engine. Im sure it had one stock, and that MAY be obtainable though ebay or at a sled scrap yard, but finding twin pipes for it would be near impossible (if they were ever even offered)

BLACKEDOUTX19

Reaction score
rickracer...
1. I gotta get it running first
2. Probably replace some parts for reliability
3. thenn maybe some perf parts...

But throw some url's at me if you got any
I might go down and throw some plugs into it tomorrow, will it turn over for a bit with like no gas in it??

Thanks

Degerovita

Reaction score
The motor will not run without gasoline. Here is a pic I found on the forums using a snowmobile on a kart.

BLACKEDOUTX19

Reaction score
:confused:not yettt, im just gunna get some new fuel lines and spark plugs and try and fire it up. Then if that doesnt work, points and condensers, and if that doesnt workkkk :confused:haha

anderkart

Reaction score
I was reading some snowmobile engines had 2 wires that ran to a tether type kill switch. The kill switch normally completed the circuit between those 2 wires but when the kill switch was activated it cut this connection to kill the spark... I dont know if your engine is setup that way or not but I just thought I'd pass the info I'd learned on.

Did you ever post a thread on that Vintage Snowmobile forum?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I was reading some snowmobile engines had 2 wires that ran to a tether type kill switch. The kill switch normally completed the circuit between those 2 wires but when the kill switch was activated it opened the circuit to stop all spark... I dont know if your engine is setup that way or not but I just thought I'd pass the info I'd learned on.

Did you ever post a thread on that Vintage Snowmobile forum?

Most every engine with points works that way, because it needs the electricity from the stator to power the coil.

anderkart

Reaction score
Most every engine with points works that way, because it needs the electricity from the stator to power the coil.

I understand that but I've also seen quite a few one wire kill switches used on older motorcycles. These would achieve spark without any outside wire connections being made just like a Briggs or clone motor.

I dont know anything about Snowmobile engines, do you think BLACKEDOUTX19's engine here definitely needs these 2 wires identified and connected together together to achieve spark?

Status
Not open for further replies.