1960 Norseman Thunderbolt

jebubb

Reaction score
Is there anyone in the group who is familiar with the Rocco Norseman Thunderbolts? I just picked this one up and its a bit rough. The back end has been heavily modified. I'm looking for pictures and measurements of everything behind the seat, how far back was the axle, how wide was the axle, as much information as possible on the brake and throttle linkages, etc. What wheels would have been on these originally.
Thanks
Jim.

norseman1.jpgnorseman2.jpgnorseman3.jpgnorseman4.jpgnorseman5.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That’s a big project. A perfect restoration may not be possible, but I bet you could get close. It looks like rear may not be as butchered as you think. I’ll bet the wheelbase is spot on. The rear track should be as wide as the front. You may need to widen the rear axle tube for axle support.

jebubb

Reaction score
That’s a big project. A perfect restoration may not be possible, but I bet you could get close. It looks like rear may not be as butchered as you think. I’ll bet the wheelbase is spot on. The rear track should be as wide as the front. You may need to widen the rear axle tube for axle support.
The live axle that was added is a couple inches further back than the original. Original rear axle is gone. extra tubing and brackets added. All of the original drum brake system and linkages are gone. If I'm lucky I'll be able to use what exists of the original frame in the back.

jebubb

Reaction score
I have an original thunderbolt of my dad's. I could help ya with any info.

Detail photos and measurement of everything in the back would be great. I especially need brake linkage, how far back the rear axle is and axle width. Motor mount measurements would be great too. Basically anything to do with the back is needed. What are the measurements for the front spindles, this has two different size spindles.
I'm hoping to get to this over the next winter, finishing up a couple others first.
Thanks!

travtowner

Reaction score
Detail photos and measurement of everything in the back would be great. I especially need brake linkage, how far back the rear axle is and axle width. Motor mount measurements would be great too. Basically anything to do with the back is needed. What are the measurements for the front spindles, this has two different size spindles.
I'm hoping to get to this over the next winter, finishing up a couple others first.
Thanks!
Definitely!!...OK, give me a couple days to get all that for ya.

travtowner

Reaction score
Had to make my own mount

Attachments

• 20240529_190002.jpg
    20240529_190002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240529_185256.jpg
    20240529_185256.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

jebubb

Reaction score
Had to make my own mount
Thank you so much for these! Could i get some close up shots of the brake linkage, especially the ends where the drum bands mount. How long is that rod for the brake linkage and what diameter is it? Lastly (for now) what is the diameter on the front spindles? Somewhere along the way someone cut one of the front spindles off at the knuckle and welded on a different diameter so I have two different diameter front spindles.
Thanks again for your help

travtowner

Reaction score
Sure can do! I'm gone for a bit, but I'll for sure do that for ya as soon as I'm back. It'll be about a week....

travtowner

Reaction score
Also, I wanted ask you, since you fix these old karts up. But my dad had another kart I'm going to try get going after this one that I was wondering where to find info om. It's about the same age, early fifties. It looks to be a racing kart. It's got slicks, pretty neat padded seat and a left and right westbend 700 on it. It's a little shorter then this one. It's a one piece frame, not a tube frame, the best I can explain it, other then the front and rear end. It's not home made. I'm always looking at vintage karts hoping to find out what it is but haven't come across one yet. I got it when I was younger and rode it alot and I'll get pictures posted some time this summer when I dig it back out of the barn. Anyways, have you come across anything I'm describing by chance?