1955 or '56 Ford F100

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
got the front end off, will pull motor and trans soon, then exchange cores for rebuilds with warranties

Attachments

• 8165178976_dd4b252778_c.jpg
    8165178976_dd4b252778_c.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 8165176468_2b18d921e5_c.jpg
    8165176468_2b18d921e5_c.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 8165178212_96fc9d6a8b_c.jpg
    8165178212_96fc9d6a8b_c.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 8165141979_47fa0c024c_c.jpg
    8165141979_47fa0c024c_c.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
my main focus is to start driving the truck, so drive train, brakes, and steering are the immediate goals. Is a brake booster and master cylinder something you can pull from a scrap yard?

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
you could take them from a scrap yard but i'd buy new or rebuild one, 'cause you have no idea how worn out they are, or how long theyve been sitting. IMO

newrider3

Reaction score
RockAuto lists master cylinder rebuild kits for $12, I'm sure your local Napa would have them for a similiar price. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to rebuild your own, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it right yourself, rather than wondering if the kid in China did it right...

machinist@large

Reaction score
can I rebuild the current cylinder and simply add a booster to it?

It's been quite some time since I followed the street rod/ truck scene, but if my memory isn't totally shot, there were several companies that had turn key kit's for this very swap. Might be cheaper and easier than trying to re-invent the wheel; at the very least, they might be able to give you some pointers.:cheers2:

newrider3

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but manual drums have always worked above and beyond what I've needed of them... Unless you are physically unable to operate them, I would keep them.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
so is it ok to use the brake booster/ master cylinder combo 910-31409 with power brake pedal assembly 910-31972 from Speedway Motors 2012 catalog?

would this be suitable for all 4 drums and make stopping easy, say for the wife to drive?

newrider3

Reaction score
One thing to remember about drums is that they are self-energizing, meaning that unlike manual discs they don't require exponentially higher pedal pressure to get more braking. My mom and grandma have both driven my F100 with manual brakes with no issues.
Although I will revise my earlier statement and say it would be wise to switch from a single reservoir MC to a dual reservoir model, for safety in the event of a line failure.

From what I can see the Speedway MC is designed for front disc, rear drum apps, and won't work for a drum/drum application. Discs and drums require different fluid volumes as well as different residual valves (may or may not be built in to the MC).

anderkart

Reaction score
I drove my 56 F100 with stock brakes for well over 10 years. My truck has a high performance engine/Top loader 4-speed and 390 rear-end gears. I was a pretty crazy driver back then, I drove my truck in heavy traffic here in Phoenix at very high speeds, and discovered the stock brakes pretty much suck no mater how well they're maintained...

The problem with the stock brakes on a 53-56 F100 is:

The brake shoes/drums are extremely narrow! (plus fairly small diamiter) They work alright when they're cool, but they will very quickly heat up causing severe brake-fade when trying to quickly stop from higher speeds. And simply adding a booster (and/or a modern 2-stage master cylinder/proportioning-valve) wont do very much to help this simple fact... Once the shoes/drums heat-up past a certain point, they simply cant get a grip to each other, no mater what!

I've now bought another strait axle, that the previous owner had installed large rotors/calipers, from a late 70's-era Ford LTD. Plus I've bought a 9" Ford rear end (with larger/wider shoes/drums, 350-gears & posi track) I'm planning on installing, along with a dual master cylinder/booster and proportioning valve from a late-70's era Ford 1/2 ton truck.

I like using all-Ford components on my Fords, (and all chevy components on my chevys, etcetera). I'm thinking about trying to find a 9" rear end out of a (77-80) Lincoln Versailles, because they came with factory rear disk brakes. I havent double checked if the width is compatible with an F100 yet, but I was thinking one of these rear ends would be a cool way to achieve 4-wheel disk brakes, using all genuine Ford components, and at a fairly reasonable cost from a wrecking yard or someone parting one out...

Heres what those a 9" Lincoln Versailles rear ends look like:

carter

Reaction score
I like using all-Ford components on my Fords, (and all chevy components on my chevys, etcetera).[/IMG]

I can understand this, When I bought my truck it had one of those big plastic fans, which I'm pretty sure is a ford thing. Went to the scrap and took a big metal fan out, used my clutch on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.