18hp Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I have a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower. It's an Intek OHV and I want to turn it horizontally so i can use it on a go kart.
Since this engine has a crank balancer how do I accomplish this with that balancer? New crank? Or what?

Smcgillis10

Reaction score

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
It takes a lot of work and headache from what I hear.

There is plenty of knowledge and info here. This is a frequent question. Use the search feature and you might find the answers. I also hate to redirect you from this site but I see that this guy is into vertical engine go karts. http://gokartguru.com/index.php

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of info on here. But the info is scattered and hard to put together into a complete list of instructions or a direction to go.

So yes I can look through 100s of posted and get some of what I need. But I know someone here has done this and can chime in and let me know what's needed.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of info on here. But the info is scattered and hard to put together into a complete list of instructions or a direction to go.

So yes I can look through 100s of posted and get some of what I need. But I know someone here has done this and can chime in and let me know what's needed.

I doubt it.....

But what the hey....it's your time.....

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for following forum etiquette...(...filling out your profile....half *** following up on the advice given.....respecting other members) ....it's been a real pleasure.....

BTW::::: Some of us around here get stuff done because we know how to click on a link.....Thanks Nick....I appreciate your efforts....even if some don't.....

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I don't need to tell yall everything about me. It's go kart forum not a **** credit card application.

Advice given? "Use search feature" That's the only advice people give on here. No on seems to actually help. And the guys that do actually help get blocked out by the 30+ posts of using search feature. This is the least helpful forum I've been on.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't need to tell yall everything about me. It's go kart forum not a **** credit card application.

Advice given? "Use search feature" That's the only advice people give on here. No on seems to actually help. And the guys that do actually help get blocked out by the 30+ posts of using search feature. This is the least helpful forum I've been on.

Lets all just calm down...poboy especially!!

The reason that we ask that you do a search, is because a million people ask this question, but noone seems to actually do it successfully. We can give you the basics, like turn the carb 90 degrees, make new oil slinger etc, but none of us have really done it, so we cannot help you much

Though I am not too concerned about you filling in your profile, it does sometimes help if people are looking for parts and we don't know which country they are from

There was a member on here once....i am trying to remember his name....that converted a briggs to horizontal. I think it was a 3.5HP. Let me see if I can find it for you

EDIT: Have a look at these links

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6485
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11895
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10886

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
See that info is helpful.
That part of the swap I am aware of. But since these engine are balanced with a weight system and don't have the room for a "flicker" a different way needs to be used to replace that part.

In race lawn mowers they send off the crank for balancing (helps with higher RPMs also.) but I don't want the higher RPMs at the moment.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks landuse. That one wasn't showing up in my posts. That one is a slightly different engine but give some more insight.

I added another link or two while you were typing, so have a look again if there is something I have missed

It might just be easier and cheaper to get a horizontal engine though

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I think you need a time out or a chill pill poobay. You must be the guy who goes around and tell everyone to use the search feature and help no one. Good job! If you actually wanted to help you would. So if anyone is a troll it's you. Good day sir!

Bet you can't find a post to quote me saying that.....I don't give a lot of advice because I don't know a lot....but....as far as relocating the slinger...and it being a balance issue....no....it's not....the little bit I do know about the issues involved with converting them....that's not one....but oil relocation is....

This gets complicated....there's a lot of issues to be addressed....and most folks give up on the project......

I want to help when I can....but nobody likes to help....or try to....and get dissed....

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I don't think it's a balance issue either. There's a weight system that is connected to the crank. Like a sling. Looks like this. Gets in the way of a modified flipper.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
What the hey......IDK.....You got me.....Unfortunately....that means....even more....like I said....that the chances are slim that anyone has done it with THAT engine....I wish you the best...but IDK....you are headed uphill I'm afraid....

But we'll see....this forum is full of some amazing people....and once you post a pic....and ask a specific question to a specific problem....members tend to try to help as much as they can.....

Sorry if I offended....earlier....

OzFab

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that this is an OHV engine? In most cases, the vertical to horizontal conversion is carried out on B&S flathead engines; The problem is, we see all these youtube vids of guys converting them but, we never see what the engine is doing 6 months later so, basically, we don't know if it's truly successful...

However, with this engine, it's almost a certainty that it won't work (unless someone can prove me wrong); with a flathead engine, the oil only needs to go as high as the tappets (lifters) but, with this engine, the oil needs to go as far as the rockers located at the top of the engine, once converted... even Hondas aren't that good, that's why their piston is at an angle...

The only suggestion I can offer is to rotate the engine on the opposite axis; that is, instead of standing the engine up, roll it on its side; the shaft will end up horizontal but, the piston will also remain horizontal, much like a Honda; depending on the design of the head & valve config, this may not even work... You would also need to rework the intake manifold but, you would've had to do that anyway...

We're a pretty knowledgable bunch but, IMO, for the most part, this is out of our realm of expertise; I'm not saying it can't be done, just that most of us have never attempted it successfully...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that this is an OHV engine? In most cases, the vertical to horizontal conversion is carried out on B&S flathead engines; The problem is, we see all these youtube vids of guys converting them but, we never see what the engine is doing 6 months later so, basically, we don't know if it's truly successful...

However, with this engine, it's almost a certainty that it won't work (unless someone can prove me wrong); with a flathead engine, the oil only needs to go as high as the tappets (lifters) but, with this engine, the oil needs to go as far as the rockers located at the top of the engine, once converted... even Hondas aren't that good, that's why their piston is at an angle...

The only suggestion I can offer is to rotate the engine on the opposite axis; that is, instead of standing the engine up, roll it on its side; the shaft will end up horizontal but, the piston will also remain horizontal, much like a Honda; depending on the design of the head & valve config, this may not even work... You would also need to rework the intake manifold but, you would've had to do that anyway...

We're a pretty knowledgable bunch but, IMO, for the most part, this is out of our realm of expertise; I'm not saying it can't be done, just that most of us have never attempted it successfully...

Exactly....and that's what I meant in my original reply....it may have read as being a smart aleck reply....it's just that the odds are against us here....and against you I'm afraid.....we do have some search gurus here....if it's been done....and on the net....they are likely to find it.....:thumbsup:

Edit: And no....I didn't notice it was OHV....just that it wasn't the usual 3-5 hp Briggs....

6StringMercenary

Reaction score
You're fine. Hopefully someone on here does lawn mower racing and knows where to get a balanced crank for the engine.

I was offered a very nice vertical drive engine from a $1,000 mower for $100 and still didn't take the deal because of what I'd learned here.

Lawn mower racing? Have you tried, well, a lawn mower racing forum by any chance? http://www.heymow.com/

Oh, looks like it after all. Tell us what you learn so it can become a sticky over here.

But seriously, in music forums, every 6 months somebody shows up and says "Oh wow, have you checked out the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack?! It's awesome!" even though there will be, I kid you not, about a dozen threads of the exact same thing. It happens...and it can get a little old, just sayin'.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I was offered a very nice vertical drive engine from a $1,000 mower for $100 and still didn't take the deal because of what I'd learned here.

Lawn mower racing? Have you tried, well, a lawn mower racing forum by any chance? http://www.heymow.com/

Oh, looks like it after all. Tell us what you learn so it can become a sticky over here.

But seriously, in music forums, every 6 months somebody shows up and says "Oh wow, have you checked out the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack?! It's awesome!" even though there will be, I kid you not, about a dozen threads of the exact same thing. It happens...and it can get a little old, just sayin'.

Soundtrack? ??? The whole friggin movie is awesome.....Sorry.....:backtotopic:

Status
Not open for further replies.