145/70-6 Tires and brake caliper upgrade q's

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Whats up guys just got my kart up and running good now older Manco. The tires are shot passenger rear is the worst dry rott and the tube inside is starting to poke out.. dont wanna hit a rock with that.. kaboommm. Basically i bought it for my son and I just put a 10T sprocket on it and it runs and drives great. Did the exhaust today and ngk plug. Now onto tires i would like WIDE tires im not sure what to buy since the front i want to keep the same size the dang thing turns terrible lol the rears are four bolt hubs and the front are single bolt with three nuts and bolts that must hold the rim together? These must be original tires.. they have tubes. Should i stick with tube tires or go tubeless??I took some pictures and will post. My other question is the drum brake is olddd... I've driven it for a couple days and got most the rust burned off and it does slow down but i want to order a disc rotor and caliper to install on it even if i have to weld it and do some fab work thats cool too. Just want to be able to stop on a dime especially if my sons gonna be riding around on it. Tires and brake upgrade info would be great thanks alot 👍

Attachments

• 20200909_142921.jpg
    20200909_142921.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200909_142929.jpg
    20200909_142929.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200909_143043.jpg
    20200909_143043.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200909_141838.jpg
    20200909_141838.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-795077825.jpg
    Snapchat-795077825.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Willisk2004

Williskart
Reaction score
Looks like standard manco rims and they just slide onto axle and held by 5/8th bolt any rims with 5/8 is bearing will fit the same with the exception of the rears, looks like someone converted it to a live axle? And made hubs to fix rear wheels on axle ? I could be mistaken I don’t have my glasses on lol.

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Yeah i was thinking the exact same it is a live axle, so basically just measure the width of the tire and how close it comes to the frame so it wont rub. Id like to run some slicks on this thing but its not that fast lol i just want to get wider tires for the rear and better brakes so it rides smoother and stops way quicker.

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Anyone else have any suggestions for the 6" rim size? I was thinking about keeping the fronts the same size 145/70-6. replacing the rears with say 8" rims and tubeless tires? would that work out for me I'm not sure about rims and tire sizes that's why I'm posting. I want to change my 72 tooth sprocket with a 48 tooth so it will go faster and I want to upgrade the wheels ect.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
wide tyres makes handling worse, especially on yard karts that's a bit of a concern.
you'd need to corner quite fast to lift the inner wheel off the ground to make reasonable turns,
which in your backyard is close to undable (unless it's paved)
A narrow (single seater) has a much better chance achieing that.

swapping for larger wheels upsets you gear ratio in a bad way..
and you'd need to gear a tad lower to compensate
but reading you're about to go from your working low ratio to a non working high gear ratio anyways..
that doesn't even make much of a difference anymore.

short: you will NOT go any faster with less teeth on the axle, in fact chances are you will go a lot slower in the end, burning your belt quickly,
not having anywhere near the torque needed to actually hit full rpms.

so if you want more speed, remove the governor and see what that does for you,
then some very carefull adjustments in terms of gear ratio (based on weight and wheel size)
certainly not 4.8:1 ratio on 16" wheels though, that'd likely be a sluggish belt burner nothing else.

'sid

shinwrx187

Reaction score
I removed the governor and internals. Im sure if i went with the same 145/70-6 rims and tires on the rear, switched the axle sprocket to a 48T and kept my 10T and use 5" rims and tires for the front i could most definitely gain some much needed mph say 5 or 10mph. Ya or nay?

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Ordered a 40 tooth sprocket. Installing that and changing the 10T smaller sprocket with the same setup 30 series torque converter and a 35 chain. Depending on the same 145/70-6 or smaller tires/slicks same size 6" rims. Setup with 10T/72T sprocket and 35 chain with bald tires.. top speed is about 20 to 24 mph topped out down hill! The new setup 40T/12T and 35 chain rpm from 3600 to 4000rpm or higher with governor removed is 40mph to 50mph thats a huge difference gear ratio mathematics not including weight. Possible burnt belts.. Parts will be here Thursday. Happy sprocket and gear ratio live axle time!