1300 pound go kart? How fast will it go?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I'm really liking that exhaust.
You should show up to the Detroit minibike races with that. LoL, It would be a hit.

Can't wait to see what cam you teased us with.
Waiting for episode 5.

Last edited:

chimmike

Reaction score
I love the fabricated header to use the slip-on motorcycle muffler. Where did you find the flare part to fab that, or did you make it?

Jimbo67

Reaction score
The exhaust system was one of the hardest sub systems to put together. The primary concern was not to lose any power while trying to quench the bark of the 212 cc engine.

The cylinder head flange was purchased on ebay for $8.00 The Sport bike muffler came with the adapter flare and that was also purchased on ebay for something like $60.00

The one inch in diameter exhaust pipe is somewhat controversial .... its electrical conduit. Before welding the conduit, the ends were dipped in muriatic acid to remove the galvanized coating. It takes about 10-15 min in the acid bath to fully remove the poisonous galvanized coating... never weld galvanized metal.

Anyway, the exhaust has a nice tone and after it was fitted the engine was running a little bit on the lean side... which is sort of good, because that allowed me to change the carb jet for more fuel.

Jimbo67

Reaction score
I'm really liking that exhaust.
You should show up to the Detroit minibike races with that. LoL, It would be a hit.

Can't wait to see what cam you teased us with.
Waiting for episode 5.

LOL, it might take me a couple of days to drive the 60 miles to Detroit...

Episode 5. has been released a few min ago. More on the way!

Last edited:

chimmike

Reaction score
The exhaust system was one of the hardest sub systems to put together. The primary concern was not to lose any power while trying to quench the bark of the 212 cc engine.

The cylinder head flange was purchased on ebay for $8.00 The Sport bike muffler came with the adapter flare and that was also purchased on ebay for something like $60.00

The one inch in diameter exhaust pipe is somewhat controversial .... its electrical conduit. Before welding the conduit, the ends were dipped in muriatic acid to remove the galvanized coating. It takes about 10-15 min in the acid bath to fully remove the poisonous galvanized coating... never weld galvanized metal.

Anyway, the exhaust has a nice tone and after it was fitted the engine was running a little bit on the lean side... which is sort of good, because that allowed me to change the carb jet for more fuel.

yeah I am never, ever keen on messin with anything galvanized via welding process. Wondering if it can be adapted onto the header that comes with stage 1 kits or something.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
That is decent gas mileage. Now you just need a bigger tank. Maybe with an electric pump and put in the trunk. I'm not sure if you still have a 12V battery in the car. I found a 12V 1 amp pump (1-2psi IIRC) that should work with a stock carb.

Jimbo67

Reaction score
Hi Bob58o,

Thanks for posting the link to episode 6 !

I was very surprised at the gas mileage as well. Prior to the test I thought the car was getting less than 30MPG.

Another 212 cc non-hemi engine is currently being built with all the performance mods shown in the last video. The new engine will also be getting a Mikuni fuel pump. All the engine mods will be documented in the next video...

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Haven't checked out the videos yet, but as far as this forum goes I don't see info anywhere on what mods you've made to the 212. Curious to know how you're increasing hp. output. Did see a blurb about decking the head/using thinner head gasket.
Decking requires a machine shop or a lathe with good skills at it. However, the thinner head gasket is a very good and very easy compression increase from bringing the head closer to the piston, hopefully a flat-top one.
My $13.95 hi-perf gasket kit came with a stainless steel .012" head gasket, and I think the OEM was about .050" or so. The other compression increase you can have comes from the other way, moving the piston closer to the head.
If you're doing mods in the case, hopefully the first thing you'd do would be to replace the OEM rod with a billet rod that oils way better, itself and all over. I went with a billet rod that's .020" longer than stock for more compression the other way as mentioned. These 2 compression increases alone can really help jack up the hp. output, and the billet rod should be done on general principles of reliability alone.

Jimbo67

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Today we kicked off a new build with our street legal go kart. We are modifying the car to accept the 420cc Predator engine. There will be a lot of fabrication in order to get the new engine to fit. I think some of you folks will appreciate in depth detail we will go into as we do another epic build. Now, even though we are modifying the car for the 420 engine...that doesn't mean we are giving up on the 212. We will now have the opportunity to build and test both sizes engines.

jamyers

Reaction score
Awesome work! Hat's off to you and your help, that's a lot of excellent work and video content you've put together there.