12v 5hp project

txluke

Reaction score
I am about to start working on my unicorn. I don't know if I want electric start or just the 12v charging. The blower housing is off getting painted. I will post more as I start doing stuff.
20220125_071824.jpg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Not familiar with that kind of motor, so don't laugh.................There's 4 blades on that cooling fan that look like a cast aluminum insert where rusty iron blades were missing. What's that all about?
About that electric start................No way I'd toss an existing toothed flywheel like that one just to get one that has 4 charging poles to run lights and isn't available in a toothed electric start version. The only reason I don't have electric start from the factory or aftermarket is because my flywheel has to be from a billet, so it won't explode at the rpm's it's planned to spin. That's not available to me with teeth.

txluke

Reaction score
Not familiar with that kind of motor, so don't laugh.................There's 4 blades on that cooling fan that look like a cast aluminum insert where rusty iron blades were missing. What's that all about?
About that electric start................No way I'd toss an existing toothed flywheel like that one just to get one that has 4 charging poles to run lights and isn't available in a toothed electric start version. The only reason I don't have electric start from the factory or aftermarket is because my flywheel has to be from a billet, so it won't explode at the rpm's it's planned to spin. That's not available to me with teeth.
The aluminum part is where the magnets for the coil are. There are magnets inside the flywheel that work with the charging coil that is mounted behind the flywheel.

karl

Reaction score
The shielded spark plug lead and coil cover looks military,
EMI protection? Snow engines do not have that cover, so I
don't think it is for heat.

Do you have the spark plug boot?

Last edited:

txluke

Reaction score
It is a military engine. This is all I have of this one. I had a more complete one but I traded it for a mini bike.

txluke

Reaction score
It is ¾ keyed. The crank for electric starts are longer than normal because the flywheel with the ring gear is bigger.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I always thought the twin cylinder Wisconsin engines would make great mini bike engines. Think of it a twin cylinder!