12hp gp kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandam88

Reaction score
i was just wondering what yall thought about a 12 hp go kart it a engine from a generator and yes it is horizontal shaft, i just recently got the 12 hp motor and frame with everthing for free from my brother in law all i have to do is get the clutch and chain, but im really herte to ask what gear ratio i should use. like a ragular ratio like 5 or sumthin. i dunno but i would really like yalls help on this one what im looking for is like fast acceleration like capaple of a burn out maybe but still a good top speed and still capable of riding on hills and stuff, thanks

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hmm. that's a good question. I don't know if I've ever heard of such a big engine on a kart.

Have you measured the output shaft to make sure you can find a clutch for it? I know that northern tools sells a big one -- 1", because I've bought one there.

The best performance will be a torque convertor -- if you can find one that fits. Otherwise, I'd go with a 12 tooth clutch to a 60 tooth sprocket.

Problem with these engines is they generate the torque at high rpm -- but you can't immediately get high rpm's from a standstill... A 72 tooth sprocket is also available, that would give you better low end power.

grandam88

Reaction score
i think its a 3/4 shaft, im not 100 percent sure, but i really just wanna go with a clutch because their not in the 100's of dollars i mean they can be but a torque converter is just to expensive for me right now. but what i"m trying to ask is does anybody know where to get a 3/4 bore clutch that is go for the 12hp range. cuz every where i go either doesn't specify or is only up to like 8-10tops hp. thanks

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a 3/4" clutch that they sell.

They say it's only good for up to 8 HP... I don't know if that means that it will just wear a little faster with more power, or what, but I'm going to use it on my 10 HP, put a saftey cover on it (like you always should) and just keep my eye on it.

grandam88

Reaction score
ok cool but what do you mean a "safety cover" the clutches ive seen look like they already have cover basicly. but thanks i was going to do this anyway i just wanted to see if there was a clutch rated at this. oh and does anybody know the power difference i mean like say like i have a 12 hp motor and a 5.5 hp motor that both turn 3600 rpm. what would be the difference like they are still spinning the same rpm. does this mean i can use a lower (higher torque) ratio on the 12hp and dtill have a good acceleration off the line and also have a higher top speed?

grandam88

Reaction score
clutch

oh yeAH I FORGOT they have way cheaper clutches that that other places on the web go look around

Lead Foot

Reaction score
You would want a higher ratio( bigger clitch, smaller sproket) on the 12 hp. This would give you simmilar acceleration with alot more top end. With the 12hp you can deffinatly gear it up.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok cool but what do you mean a "safety cover" the clutches ive seen look like they already have cover basicly. ...... does this mean i can use a lower (higher torque) ratio on the 12hp and dtill have a good acceleration off the line and also have a higher top speed?

i just mean a chain cover in case stuff gets hot. I dunno. I doubt anything would happen besides the clutch shoes burning up. Who knows.

ABout the torque -- you're going to have the same basic power band, which is no torque until high RPM. However, the clutch engages at 2200 or so.

You could go for a higher top end...

I dunno, use the speed calculator on the home page and check how fast you want to go.

Another thought is that the generator might not have come with a high-speed carb. Meaning that it's made for slow increases in RPM, not fast. Got a pic?

grandam88

Reaction score
no i don't have a pic yet i have to pick up the frame an d motor on Saturday but i haven't thought about the carburetor but my guess is it'll be fine at least i hope so, lets say if you were me what sizes would you use im really new to this im just worried ill have a nasty take off speed as in ittl take me forever to get to top speed

Status
Not open for further replies.