10 hp vs 18 hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartman2788

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hey all,
I need help deciding whether to use a 10 or 18 hp engine on my go kart? What are some pros and cons of both?

Thanks in advance,
Sam
 

Attachments

  • gokart.jpg
    gokart.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 19

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Messages
2,490
Reaction score
3
Location
Oliver springs,Tn
not really any difference. either way you have to get a TC 40 series. weight,but power balances that out.

edit: power would be better from the 18hp.
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,431
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
Given a choice, I'd certainly go with the 18hp with a 40-series torque converter.

The drawback would be additional weight, so you'd probably need additional bracing/gusset-ing to your frame and motor-mount area.
 

element10554

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Glen Mills Pa
I have an 18hp with a 40 series and I feel like the engine is to much for the TC. If I am not careful when I hit the gas the belt starts to burn up. Just a thought.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Element, something is probably wrong, the 40 series can take up to 25HP according to Blaz.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
The 40 series was factory rated to 18hp- you can bet your bottom that they would have left a pretty generous error margin in the rating. 25hp sounds reasonable.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
I remember Blaz noting that they've had big twin cylinder karts in excess of 20HP working perfectly with a 40 series. Comet under shot the 40's potential but got the 20/30's just about spot on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top