08 Subaru 265cc CVT clutch

W3sabi

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help out. I have an 08 (I believe) BD-300 bulldogMy post is going to be somewhat a two part post.

First, I am having somewhat of an issue with the “takeoff” speed of the UTV. When I push the pedal all the way to the floor it is very slow to get up and go. However, once it gets up enough speed it opens wide open and moves daily quick. The slow getup and go has me confused.

I removed and replaced the rear clutch and put in a new belt. I also loosened the the brakes (to ensure the brakes weren’t to tight (preventing it to move initially). Still after all of this it hasn’t fixed the problem.

I believe my next move will be to replace the torque converter clutch because I haven’t replaced it yet. If anyone has any better ideas/solutions I would greatly appreciate them because I am kind of at a loss at this point.

Now, this leads into my second comment/question. Of course all of the original parts lists for this can’t be found (at least not by me). I can only find the generic parts list that has pet number 2-20667 TC,Driver comet listed as the pet number. This of course is obsolete or has been superseded by something else. Does anyone know what this part number would be?

Again, I am only replacing this because I don’t know what else to do....

Thanks!D96BC2EA-6651-43D8-BCED-A06087EC65AA.jpeg

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Usually the Comet used for UTVs was the Comet 780. Can you measure the driver and driven clutch diameters?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Take some good pictures of the TC for us to look at. Before you go and replace anything, take the TC apart and give it a good clean and lube. Check that it is functioning correctly, springs aren't bent and that all the buttons are there. Als make sure that you have the correct belt for the TC.

Was the take off speed always bad? Did it just start all of a sudden? Maybe your gearing sucks due to a previous owner changing things up. Post all the tooth counts of the sprockets and the tyre diameter

W3sabi

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I will measure and take more pictures when I get home from work this evening with tooth counts and etc. I have attached some pictures I currently have on my phone just for reference for now. Does anyone know what belt should be the correct belt? I bought this used so I am not certain if it "always was bad" or "started all of the sudden".

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

W3sabi

Reaction score
Ok, here is what I found out.

The part number listed on the belt is - 2-20693

The diameter of the torque convert clutch is 5 3/8" dia. (1" bore)

The Diameter of the drive clutch is 7 3/8 or 7 1/2" dia. I haven't removed this clutch yet to get an exact measurement.

I have taken multiple pictures to show everything (hopfeully)

If my searching is correct, I believe I need these: Clutches and Belt

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 4
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

W3sabi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, it looks to me like the drive clutch is an aftermarket clutch. Does anyone have any recommendations other then replace all the parts and hope this fixes the "slow start" issue?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
both units are looking actually quite decently, there's some rubbing on the top of the driven,
which might be because of a somewhat incorrect belt,
both can certainly use some cleaning and proper lubrification (dry lube only, rollers in the driver, maybe the camshaft of the driven, nothing else)

with that done and the proper belt installed, your ATV should be able to transfere a bit more torque to the axle in low gear
(going by the skid marks on the driven, I'd assume the belt is slipping in low gear)
if that's enough IDK, if it's not there's very little you can do apart from getting the original TC ratio back onto the vehicle..
the original part was either a comet 500/858 combination (serial #42438 and prior)
or a CVTECH Set. (serial # 42439 and after)
judging by your belt I'd opt for the manco setup albeit it being a CVTECH belt,
the CVT pulleys were a hair bigger and used a 20694 belt IIRC

So 500/858 means a low ratio of 3.76:1 and a high ratio of 1.04:1
the current series 40 cannot provide that with a 7.5" driven (low ratio 2.43:1, high ratio 1:1)
even with the bigger 8.5" driven unit it only gets you to a low ratio of 2.83:1 and a high ratio of 1.24:1
and since you don't have any sprockets to swap to compensate for that, there's unfortunately not much you can do about it..
you could try to find a series 40 belt and with a perfectly clean and well maintained TC it might just about work,
you can help by getting smaller rear wheels to at least get some additional torque..
but in the end.... it'd be tough.

unfortunately a 500/858 combo isn't exactly cheap :(
driver: (~$210)
https://www.gokartsupply.com/500ser.htm ( a bit cheaper than from beltpalace, unfortunately no 858 to be found)
driven: (~$290)
https://beltpalace.com/comet302437a.html (unsure about the bore size tbh)

the 'newer' CVTECH set is even more expensive than the old salsbury
(driver:~$550 driven: ~$480)

'sid

W3sabi

Reaction score
Sid,

Thanks for your response.

My serial number is prior to serial #42438.

I ordered the 500/858 combo. However, I am still uncertain which belt would be the correct belt to order. I would like to just get a new one of these as well.

Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
the one you have (20693) should be the correct belt for that setup according to the partsmanual of your ASW - ATV.
(see below)
A new one can be found online easily
like here for example:
(second to last box)

but it should also be available from americanlandmaster directly (formerly known as american sportworks, manco etc...)
and I'd almost bet it's also available on beltpalace as well

the partnumber though is correct, no worries there ;)
(it's just the wrong belt for a series 40 TC you currently have installed, that's why I mentioned getting a different one)

'sid

Attachments

• 265cc-CW265-TW265-BD300.pdf
    858.4 KB · Views: 3

W3sabi

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the parts in. One question. What is the easiest way to remove the existing clutch. The shock is in the way preventing it from sliding out.

Attachments

• F563C5F9-6B7C-42B9-82EC-69A0DB64BEE2.jpeg
    F563C5F9-6B7C-42B9-82EC-69A0DB64BEE2.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 0E1D3CBF-32F5-40CD-88F8-220E3BF3A608.jpeg
    0E1D3CBF-32F5-40CD-88F8-220E3BF3A608.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
well, I'm afraid it's the four bolts that hold the axle assemly in place :(

put the swingarm on jackstands so the rear wheels are barely off the ground, and remove the four bolts the axle is attached with,
remove the shifter cable and slide the axle assembly with the FnR gearbox out and swap the pulley...

Since i doubt it's just the shock really.. I think the swingarm itself is getting in the way shortly after.
If not..
just prop up the bed against the swingarm with a 2x4 a bit in front of the pulley
(or if it's tall enough use a jackstand to hold the main chassis up)
remove the lower mounting bolt of the shock and swing it up (zip tie?) and it should be out of the way;
but again judging by your pics, I think the swingarm will be the next blocked road for the pulley to slide off *shrugs*

'sid

W3sabi

Reaction score
Well, the good news is I got the Comet 500 series installed. I also removed the rear clutch (Remove 4 bolts from the frame sub-frame and lift with a jack, as you suggested).

Now on the the bad news... I the two options in size for the 858 series clutch were 3/4" and 1" bore. I ordered the 3/4 on a hunch and nothing more. It turns out that it has a 7/8" bore. I cannot blame anyone but myself because I didn't measure before ordering. However, I don't see a 7/8" bore option for the 858.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 17B48494-5013-4592-A9E5-0621EB98853B.jpeg
    17B48494-5013-4592-A9E5-0621EB98853B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
there is/was a 7/8" bore but that doesn't help you atm, since I cannot find it either, not even the pdf it was mentioned in and that IS on my computer ;)..
Anyways there are three options IYAM.
  1. you ask the seller to replace it with the 1" bore version and shim it with a paperthin sheet of spring steel
  2. you ask the seller to replace it with the 500 driven in 7/8" bore ( Comet 302679A ) and hope that the difference in gear reduction isn't too bad
  3. you have your stem bored out to 7/8" (hurts even to think about that really.. but it's an option ;))

Here's what I'd do to find out which one would be MY option:
I'd reinstall the series 40 driven for now and reattach the axle. since it is 7.5" and thus the same size as the 500 driven
it'd tell me if the belt has the correct length or not.

if it's a tad too long (so it fits the 8.5" pulley) I'd go for option #1,
and only if the seller refuses to swap I'd bore it out.

if it has the perfect size already; option #2 would be what I'd head for.
here's the 7/8" bored 500 driven:

'sid

W3sabi

Reaction score
I will put the 40 driven back on and see how the belt looks.

Beltpalace will let me return the 858 series, but in their response, they listed 2 options as a replacement option for the 7/8" bore. Do you think either would be a better option or should I just choose one of the 500 series you recommended above?

7/8” Bore version for Taylor-Dunn vehicles here: https://beltpalace.com/comet301826a.html

7/8” Bore version for Club Car and American Sportworks (ASW)/Landmaster vehicles here: https://beltpalace.com/comet302287c.html