Duromax 440 Leaks Fuel From Behind Carb

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Hi, I recently just got my project kart running but I have been having some concerns with how gas is leaking from behind the carb where the "carb insulator block" (black plastic piece behind the carb) is. I just replaced all the gaskets with new gaskets, including the float bowl o-ring. I ensured the float wasn't stuck (has happened once before and it dumped gas out of the intake) and tore down and cleaned the whole carb. Despite this it still leaks. I have circled where it is leaking from in this picture:
20240116_141838.jpg
Note that gas only leaks when I jump on the suspension of go over bumps. The engine is mounted to the swingarm like how many off road go-karts are built, so the engine does get jostled around. Is this just some sort of carb overflow that dumps excess fuel when needed? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Master Hack

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I would guess the more bouncing around the worse the problem. I don't think its exclusive to swing mounted situations.
Is it normal? Yes. is it Ok? depends on how much it leaks.

Time for my usual smart a$$ answer:
try putting the carb on upside down, then the vent would be at the top.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
They do actually. You bend the tab on the float that makes contact with the needle. You flip the carb upside down and measure the difference between the front and rear of the float to check height going from the bowl gasket lip.

SquidBonez

Reaction score
They do actually. You bend the tab on the float that makes contact with the needle. You flip the carb upside down and measure the difference between the front and rear of the float to check height going from the bowl gasket lip.
Huh, never knew that. What adjustment should I be looking for then? Should the bowl be level when I flip it upside down?

EDIT: Looking at it now I still don't see how it's adjustable. The entire carb float is plastic. Most adjustable carb floats have a piece of metal you can bend. I think if I tried to bend it I would just snap it. Plus I managed to find one video online saying that these carbs were not adjustable for float level.

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Remove the bowl first. Then flip the carb over. There will be a little tab (usually brass) on the float that contacts the needle valve. If the float is higher in the rear or level it is probably too low. Should be about 1/8th” higher at the front (opposite the hinge pin).

Darren

Reaction score
Basic checks, make sure float isn't faulty, chuck it in some fuel and make sure it stays afloat.
Look for any wear or machine marks on the needle pin, you need a magnifying glass.
Get a feel for the pin moving in and out of the tube, nice and smooth?
Assemble and blow through the fuel pipe and gently push the float until the spring just starts to compress on the needle, is this stopping the air?
If this checks out all okay, then I don't know.
You say you rebuilt the carb, did you use a new needle pin? I thought these come as part of the 'rebuild/refresh' kits.
Carbs for the stationary engine are pretty cheap, you may have one that's badly machined around the needle valve, might be an idea just to buy a new one.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
One thing I didn’t see addressed in these posts was checking there are no cracks or deformities in the hard black plastic insulator/spacer thing behind the carb.

A closer look at the plumbing makes me think it’s a gasket type problem (if it is a problem) if it’s not the float/needle.

Attachments

• IMG_4922.jpeg
    IMG_4922.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Carb circuitry is like a foreign language to me. One opening has to allow air for the idle circuit, right?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Is it possible that the angle of the carb is way off level when the swing arm swings its full travel? That in combination with the sloshing/slopping around, maybe lower the float level a few thou??
Like this gx390 to gx200 carb adapter for engines on 15degree motor mounts. I believe some race karts tilt the forward so the exhaust clears the back right tire.

I suppose a swing arm is similar, but tilted in opposite direction. I guess it depends on its geometry.

The adapter twists the carb to account for the mount.

If the swingarm angle is to great when seated in it, add more mass to your body to level it out. I suggest double bacon cheeseburgers.

Attachments

• IMG_4923.png
    IMG_4923.png
    1 MB · Views: 0

SquidBonez

Reaction score
If the swingarm angle is to great when seated in it, add more mass to your body to level it out. I suggest double bacon chcheeseburgers.
I have the swingarm set to be slightly tilted back when I'm not in it so it levels out when I sit in it. The axle sit just slightly backwards of the crank on the engine so the engine moves basically as much as the axle does. Rear suspension travel is about 5", so you can imagine how much the engine moves. It does not leak when it is idling or even driving smoothly, only when I jump on it and cause the rear suspension to move. Looks like this "leak" is just the overflow after all, so it's actually doing its job. Just something to live with I guess.

My eventual goal is to have an electric buggy. Will probably do the rear suspension in the same way (motor on swingarm) because it's light, cheap, simple, stable, and strong. And the added benefit of electric motors is they don't have any fluid to leak, and don't care how they are mounted. Should make my job easier. Until then, however, just gotta deal with some gas leakage.