Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
That is a cool build...
WHat is that covering on the exhaust....???
silicone heat shield, comes with the stage 1 kit from gopowersports.

Smokes a lot when you first put it on, but it does a decent job of insulating -- if you grab the exhaust it'll still hurt but not burn, and if you just rub your arm/leg on it you're fine.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 AM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,081 Posts

I missed this thread the first time around. Kart turned out great and in retrospect it seems like it was built in a day...

You’re no ordinary novice either—that’s one well-equipped shop.

For more fun you can remove the silly warning stickers on the engine such as the “voids warranty”, fuel recommendations & also ‘clock’ your recoil starter housing so the handle points to the rear of the kart. Just remove 3 screws, rotate to desired position, line the holes back up and reinstall.

P.S. I’ve bought some of that silicone heat shielding, in a smaller diameter, to use as a wire loom (covering) on my dirt bike refurb; wires passing in close proximity to the muffler so I didn’t want them burnt to a crisp. I think the interior of the tubing has a woven fiberglass liner. Good stuff.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I missed this thread the first time around. Kart turned out great and in retrospect it seems like it was built in a day...

You’re no ordinary novice either—that’s one well-equipped shop.

For more fun you can remove the silly warning stickers on the engine such as the “voids warranty”, fuel recommendations & also ‘clock’ your recoil starter housing so the handle points to the rear of the kart. Just remove 3 screws, rotate to desired position, line the holes back up and reinstall.

P.S. I’ve bought some of that silicone heat shielding, in a smaller diameter, to use as a wire loom (covering) on my dirt bike refurb; wires passing in close proximity to the muffler so I didn’t want them burnt to a crisp. I think the interior of the tubing has a woven fiberglass liner. Good stuff.
good tip, and thanks !

I wouldn't say im mechanically a novice, I've built a few CSB motors in my time, and I've acquired some nice tools in my garage. but it was my first time welding, so I was very happy with how the kart came out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmg For This Useful Post:
Hellion (08-15-2019)