Maintaining Your Torque Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
If it's working fine, then it's working fine! Not all CVT's use the bushing. If it was supposed to have it, it would not be working correctly.

subaru

Reaction score
comet 30 or 40 is on bench but won't seperate to clean

It is off of the crank shaft but the bell won't slide away from the pulley. I have a gear puller on it with a lot of force but its not moving. Anybody had this problem ? should I toss it and spend a $100 ? It is on a utv side bye side I bought new 3 years ago never been cleaned

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
It is off of the crank shaft but the bell won't slide away from the pulley. I have a gear puller on it with a lot of force but its not moving. Anybody had this problem ? should I toss it and spend a $100 ? It is on a utv side bye side I bought new 3 years ago never been cleaned

How about a pic? Have you used penetrating oil? I would not just go out and buy another one

subaru

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for helping, I soaked with P B Blaster around shaft opening on top of the bell and around brass bushing in the pulley, then I turned bell upside down and sprayed a lot inside and toped it off with a cup of diesel fuel to the top. Soaked for 2 days while the gear puller was still on it and the bell opening is starting to bend. I will try to add pics in the morning.

subaru

Reaction score
comet 30 or 40 is on bench but won't seperate to clean

Up until now I could see half of the brass bushing in the pulley, after beating with a mallet I completely see 2 bushings spinning freely , lots of black carbon in the oil running out. However the bell has not moved on the shaft opening. I tried to add pics, I quess they did not go through. Thinking of air blowing clean as I can and put back on motor to try. The nut on the bell is welded, I assume this is to just hold with wrench. I will mention that on my last ride it didn't want to gear down and when I would put in gear from the start it would launch forward and stall the engine , on every try, as though it was stuck in high gear. ( it has forward, neutral , reverse). The rear of the belt has the red spring clutch with rubber clogs.

Last edited:

fowler

Reaction score
Did the system give u a reason for not adding pics

Sometimes u have to change there format
I don't know the proper way of doing it but I just copy them to paint then save them as a jpeg

grif

Reaction score
Just a quick side note. when cleaning the green scotchbrite pads work great!! (especially if you stay up on the cleaning, which you should do anyway) besides that, it was a great write up.

mnmbarna

Reaction score
Dear Blaz;

I was totally stupid!. I'm so use to working with series 30 TC I forgot the series 30 is the only TC that the driven faces outward from the engine. Too many things on my plate trying to finish this pimped large kart I fail to really notice all the pictures of the Comet series 40 setup. Lesson 101 for TC series 30 is the only unit that both driver and driven face away from the engine.

Thanks for your help. Maybe my stupid moment will help someone else.

Thanks again...........Joel

rudie98 which unit of the 40 faces out away from the engine?

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
rudie98 which unit of the 40 faces out away from the engine?

Dude, did you happen to notice that that post you quoted was from 4 years ago?
Are having problems with your 40 series? If so, start a thread in the engines/clutches section..... It will get answered fairly quickly and get you back on the road...... :thumbsup:
EDIT the 40 series driver faces away from the engine, but the driven faces the engine.....

mnmbarna

Reaction score
firemanjim,
I turned the driven pulley around so it's facing the engine and found that there's no way the belt alignment would work. I'd have to slide the driver out towards the end of the crankshaft and it would barely catch the key way. So, would I have to get the yellow reverse wound spring for the driven so it can stay facing the same direction as the driver?

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
No, not necessarily. The majority of the driver clutches are spaced out,away from engine. Only part of it really sits on the shaft and you have to use a longer bolt to hold it on. I had to add a 1/2" spacer on my crank to keep my 30 series driver in the correct spot. The same with the 40 series, AFAIK.
I'll see about locating a thread with the info you're looking for.....

mnmbarna

Reaction score
Well, there would be a good 3 inch gap, and would just be holding on by a hair(maybe a 1/16 of an inch at the most). I'd be worried about it breaking off the very little piece that it would be holding on to. That's why I'd rather convert it to an outboard set up using the yellow spring.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Well, there would be a good 3 inch gap, and would just be holding on by a hair(maybe a 1/16 of an inch at the most). I'd be worried about it breaking off the very little piece that it would be holding on to. That's why I'd rather convert it to an outboard set up using the yellow spring.

And this is why pics of what YOU have would be so very helpful...... Please post a pic of your kart/set up..... The more pics the better......

mnmbarna

Reaction score
comet 40 trouble

I'm back...been a busy week. Haven't had much time to work on this kart lately, but here's some pics that might help figure out my tc problem. Not sure how much you'll be able to see, or if it will help you help me. If you have any suggestions on angle of pics or a specific shot, let me know. I'll try to get them asap.

1st and 2nd pics are of both units facing outward...it's set up like that because the previous owner set it up with a comet 30, and then he swapped the 150cc engine with a 420cc and didn't get the bigger tc. *Side Note: this is a Baja Dune 150 gokart*

3rd pic is driven flipped inward(how it's supposed to be)and the driver is slid out enough for belt alignment. my fingers in the gap hopefully gives you an idea of how much it had to slide out.(actually, when i took my hand away, I slightly bumped the driver and it fell off)

4th pic is another angle of driven facing inward.

5th pic hopefully shows inside of driver key barely making contact with keyway on crankshaft.(this is while driver is slid out as in 3rd and 4th pics) It's kinda like mounting a tire on your vehicle and only putting the lug nuts on the first thread of the stud.

Hope these help...let me know if you need a specific pic.

Attachments

• oct9 188.jpg
    oct9 188.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 26
  • oct9 190.jpg
    oct9 190.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
  • oct9 191.jpg
    oct9 191.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 23
  • oct9 195.jpg
    oct9 195.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 22
  • oct9 194.jpg
    oct9 194.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 17

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:thumbsup:
You need a reverse wound spring..........
Mounting the driven like it should be won't work for you. You need to have it facing away from the engine......

mnmbarna

Reaction score
That's what i figured. With the reverse spring, do I also have to reposition the outer cam so the "lobes" are on the opposite sides of the cam buttons?(in the 2nd pic) Also, any tips on taking the driven apart? I took the driven on my 30 series apart once, and that was no fun at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.